Philippians, Colossians (Reformation Commentary On Scripture Series)
Preaching's Preacher's Guide to the Best Bible Reference for 2014 (New Testament Commentaries) Paul's letters to the Philippians and Colossians celebrate the glory and supremacy of Jesus Christ and his saving work, a refrain that the reformers never...
You May Also Like
Preaching's Preacher's Guide to the Best Bible Reference for 2014 (New Testament Commentaries)
Paul's letters to the Philippians and Colossians celebrate the glory and supremacy of Jesus Christ and his saving work, a refrain that the reformers never grew tired of singing. While their tones are diverse, the clarity of their compositions and the power of their voices still reverberate today.Reformation commentators found the main themes of these Pauline letters deeply applicable to their circumstances, and volume editor Graham Tomlin urges that they are just as relevant to our own: Philippians overflows with thanksgiving in the midst of persecution and trials; Colossians defends the superiority of Jesus as Lord over all principalities and powers. For the Reformers as well as for Paul, all goodness and grace flows from Christ in whom "all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell" (Col 1:19), the Son who "made himself nothing" (Phil 2:7) in order to bring many daughters and sons to glory.This volume assembles a diverse chorus spanning place, time, and confessional differences: from Italian Reform-minded Catholic Gasparo Contarini and German Lutheran Martin Chemnitz, to Dutch Anabaptist Menno Simons, to French Reformed Theodore Beza and English Puritan Richard Sibbes. Scholars and pastors alike will find many fruitful insights from these and a number of other significant figures--most of whom enjoy fresh translations from the original, many for the first time in English.
The Revd Dr Graham Tomlin (D.Phil., Oxon) is the Dean of St Mellitus College, London. He has authored a number of books including The Power of the Cross: Theology and the Death of Christ in Paul, Luther and Pascal (Paternoster 1999), The Provocative Church(SPCK 2002), The Responsive Church,(Intervarsity Press, 2002), The Seven Deadly Sins and How to Overcome Them (Lion 2007), Luther and his World (Lion 2002), and Spiritual Fitness (Continuum, 2006).
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- <ul> <li><em>preaching's</em> Preacher's Guide To The Best Bible Reference For 2014 (new Testament Commentaries)</li> </ul> Paul's Letters To The Philippians And Colossians Celebrate The Glory And Supremacy Of Jesus Christ And His Saving Work, A Refrain That The Reformers Never Grew Tired Of Singing. While Their Tones Are Diverse, The Clarity Of Their Compositions And The Power Of Their Voices Still Reverberate Today.reformation Commentators Found The Main Themes Of These Pauline Letters Deeply Applicable To Their Circumstances, And Volume Editor Graham Tomlin Urges That They Are Just As Relevant To Our Own: Philippians Overflows With Thanksgiving In The Midst Of Persecution And Trials; Colossians Defends The Superiority Of Jesus As Lord Over All Principalities And Powers. For The Reformers As Well As For Paul, All Goodness And Grace Flows From Christ In Whom "all The Fullness Of God Was Pleased To Dwell" (col 1:19), The Son Who "made Himself Nothing" (phil 2:7) In Order To Bring Many Daughters And Sons To Glory.this Volume Assembles A Diverse Chorus Spanning Place, Time, And Confessional Differences: From Italian Reform-minded Catholic Gasparo Contarini And German Lutheran Martin Chemnitz, To Dutch Anabaptist Menno Simons, To French Reformed Theodore Beza And English Puritan Richard Sibbes. Scholars And Pastors Alike Will Find Many Fruitful Insights From These And A Number Of Other Significant Figures--most Of Whom Enjoy Fresh Translations From The Original, Many For The First Time In English.
- General Introduction
- A Guide To Using This Commentary
- Introduction To Philippians And Colossians
- Commentary On Philippians
- Commentary On Colossians
- Map Of The Reformation
- Timeline Of The Reformation
- Biographical Sketches Of Reformation Era Figures
- Author Index
- Scripture Index