Portraits of Jesus in the Gospel of John (Library Of New Testament Studies Series)
John's Gospel is best known for its presentation of Jesus as the Word of God made flesh. But as the narrative unfolds, readers discover that the identity of Jesus is surprisingly complex. He is depicted as a teacher, a healer,...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 8 to 10 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
John's Gospel is best known for its presentation of Jesus as the Word of God made flesh. But as the narrative unfolds, readers discover that the identity of Jesus is surprisingly complex. He is depicted as a teacher, a healer, a prophet, and Messiah. He is Jewish and Galilean, a human being who is Son of Man and Son of God. Portraits of Jesus in the Gospel of John considers each of these roles in detail, showing how each makes a distinctive contribution to the Gospel's rich mosaic of images for Jesus. John's multifaceted portrait of Jesus draws on a broad spectrum of early Christian traditions, and the contributors to this collection of essays explore the ways in which these traditions are both preserved and transformed in the Fourth Gospel. The writers draw us more deeply into the questions of the way in which traditions about Jesus developed in the early church and how the Gospel of John might contribute to our understanding of that dynamic process.
Craig R. Koester (PhD.,Union Theological Seminary, New York) is professor of New Testament at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota. His books include Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel, The Dwelling of God, A Beginner's Guide to Reading the Bible, The Word of Life: A Theology of John's Gospel, Revelation and the End of All Things and the Anchor Bible commentaries on Hebrews and The Book of Revelation.
- List Of Abbreviations
- 1. Portraits Of Jesus In The Gospel Of John: A Spectrum Of Roles - Craig R. Koester, Luther Seminary, Usa
- 2. The Human Jesus In The Gospel Of John: The Word Made Flesh - Marianne Meye Thompson, Fuller Theological Seminary, Usa
- 3. Jesus The Jew In John's Gospel: "scripture Cannot Be Broken" - Wendy E. S. North, University Of Durham, Uk
- 4. Jesus The Galilean In The Gospel Of John: The Significance Of Earthly Origins In The Fourth Gospel - Chris Keith,
- St Mary's University, Uk
- 5. Jesus The Rabbi And Teacher In John's Gospel: The Gift Of Divine Instruction - Craig R. Koester, Luther Seminary, Usa
- 6. Jesus The Healer In The Fourth Gospel: Bringing Life From God - Graham H. Twelftree, London School Of Theology, Uk
- 7. Jesus The Prophet: Crossing The Boundaries Of Prophetic Beliefs And Expectations In The Gospel Of John - Catrin H. Williams, University Of Wales, Uk
- 8. Jesus The Messiah: Conservatism And Radicalism In Johannine Christology - Matthew V. Novenson,
- University Of Edinburgh, Uk
- 9. Jesus The Son Of Man: Apocalyptic Interpretations And Johannine Christology - Benjamin E. Reynolds, Tyndale University College, Canada
- 10. Jesus The Son Of God In John's Gospel: The Life-making Logos - Alicia D. Myers, Campbell University Divinity School
- Author Index
- Index Of Ancient Sources