Priscilla: The Life of An Early Christian
:Who was Priscilla? Readers of the Bible may know her as the wife of Aquila, Paul's coworker, or someone who explained baptism to Apollos. Biblical references to Priscilla spark questions: Why is she mentioned before her husband? Does the...
Available Now.10+ Available
You may also like
:Who was Priscilla? Readers of the Bible may know her as the wife of Aquila, Paul's coworker, or someone who explained baptism to Apollos. Biblical references to Priscilla spark questions: Why is she mentioned before her husband? Does the mention of her instruction of Apollos mean that women taught in the church? What is her story? Ben Witherington addresses these questions and more. In this work of historical fiction, Priscilla looks back on her long life and remembers the ways she has participated in the early church. Her journey has taken her to Ephesus, Corinth, and Rome, and she's partnered with Paul and others along the way. Priscilla's story makes the first-century world come alive and helps readers connect the events and correspondence in different New Testament books. Witherington combines biblical scholarship and winsome storytelling to give readers a vivid picture of an important New Testament woman.
Ben Witherington III (Ph.D., University of Durham, England) is Amos Professor of New Testament for Doctoral Studies at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky, and is on the doctoral faculty at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland
He is the author of many books on the New Testament, including Women and the Genesis of Christianity (Cambridge University Press); Jesus the Sage (Fortress Press); The Jesus Quest (InterVarsity Press) and The Paul Quest (InterVarsity Press). With Hershel Shanks he is coauthor of The Brother of Jesus (HarperSanFrancisco), a book on the controversial James ossuary. A frequent contributor to Beliefnet.com, Witherington has also appeared on numerous TV news programs such as Dateline, 60 Minutes, 20/20 and the Peter Jennings ABC special Jesus and Paul--The Word and the Witness.
Dr Witherington has written a commentary on every book of the New Testament in a wide variety of series.
- 1. From The Beginning
- 2. The Journey To Jerusalem
- 3. The Cost Of Pentecost
- 4. Mad Caligula, And Persistent Aquila
- 5. A Marriage Arranged In Roma
- 6. Banished!
- 7. Paulus The Apostle In Corinth
- 8. On To Ephesus
- 9. Enter Apollos
- 10. Demons And Dark Arts In Ephesus
- 11. Riot In The Theater, Wild Beasts In Ephesus
- 12. Return To Greece
- 13. The Death Of Claudius, The Return To Roma
- 14. Joanna/junia
- 15. Paulus’s Farewell At Miletus
- 16. The Collection And Its Collectors Reach Jerusalem
- 17. Paulus The Prisoner In Caesarea And The Struggles Of The <em>ekklesia</em> In Roma
- 18. At Last! Paulus’s Arrival In Roma
- 19. House Arrest And The Captivity Epistles
- 20. The Release Of The Apostle
- 21. The Conflagration
- 22. Peter Takes Charge And Writes Of Suffering
- 23. Christ Followers As Roman Candles
- 24. Burned Out <em>christianoi</em>—the Temptation To Defect
- 25. A Surprise Ending, And A Return To The East
- 26. John Mark And The Abomination That Makes Desolate
- 27. Titus Rules, And The Volcano Erupts
- 28. “you Must Increase, While We Decrease”
- 29. Unnerved Nerva And The End Of Days
- Image Credits