Pursuing God's Will Together
Meetings can sap our energy, rupture community and thoroughly demoralize us. They can go on forever with no resolution. Or they can rush along without consensus just to "get through the agenda." What if there was another way? Church boards...
Print on DemandAvailable to order. Your order will be printed by our Melbourne Supplier. Not available In-Store
You May Also Like
Meetings can sap our energy, rupture community and thoroughly demoralize us. They can go on forever with no resolution. Or they can rush along without consensus just to "get through the agenda." What if there was another way? Church boards and other Christian leadership teams have long relied on models adapted from the business world. Ruth Haley Barton, president of the Transforming Center, helps teams transition to a much more suitable model--the spiritual community that discerns God's will together. In these pages you will discover personal and group practices that will lead you into a new way of experiencing community and listening to God together.
Ruth Haley Barton is co-founder and president of The Transforming Center (www.thetransformingcenter.org), a ministry dedicated to caring for the souls of pastors and Christian leaders. A teacher, spiritual director, and retreat leader, she has served on the pastoral staff of several churches including Willow Creek Community Church and is the author of numerous books and resources on the spiritual life including Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership, Sacred Rhythms, Longing for More, Equal To The Task and Invitation to Solitude and Silence.
- :introduction: The Heart Of Spiritual Leadership
- <strong>part One: Becoming A Community For Discernment</strong>
- 1. Learning To See
- 2. Beginning With Spiritual Transformation
- 3. Leaders Who Are Discerning
- 4. Community At The Leadership Level
- 5. Values That Undergird Community
- 6. Practices For Opening To God Together
- 7. Practices For Listening To Each Other
- 8. A Covenant That Protects Community
- <strong>part Two: Practicing Discernment Together</strong>
- 9. Get Ready: Preparing For The Discernment Process
- 10. Get Set: From Decision Making To Discernment
- 11. Go! Discerning And Doing God?s Will Together
- 12. But Does It Work?
- Appendix 1: Leader's Guide
- Appendix 2: A Biblical Perspective On Spiritual Transformation