Reading Proverbs Intertextually (Library Of Hebrew Bible/old Testament Studies Series)
Sitting alongside the partner volumes Reading Job Intertextually (2012) and Reading Ecclesiastes Intertextually (2014) also published in the Library of Hebrew and Old testament Studies, this addition to the series continues the study of intertextuality in the Hebrew Bible. Dell...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 7 to 8 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
Sitting alongside the partner volumes Reading Job Intertextually (2012) and Reading Ecclesiastes Intertextually (2014) also published in the Library of Hebrew and Old testament Studies, this addition to the series continues the study of intertextuality in the Hebrew Bible. Dell and Kynes provide the first comprehensive treatment of intertextuality in Proverbs. Topics addressed include the intertextual resonances between Proverbs, and texts across the Hebrew canon, as well as texts throughout history, from the Dead Sea Scrolls to African and Chinese proverbial literature. The contributions, though comprehensive, do not provide clear-cut answers, but rather invite further study into connections between Proverbs and external texts, highlighting ideas and issues in relation to the extra texts discussed themselves. The volume gathers together scholars with specific expertise on the array of texts that intersect with Proverbs and these scholars in turn bring their own insights to the texts at hand. In particular the contributors have been encouraged to pursue the intertextual approach that best suits their topic, thereby offering readers a valuable collection of intertextual case studies that address a single biblical book.
Katharine Dell (D.Phil., University of Oxford)l is Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Divinity, Cambridge University and Fellow of St. Catharine's College, Oxford. Her specialism is the Old Testament and within that the wisdom literature of Proverbs, Job and Ecclesiastes on which she has written extensively, including Seeking a Life That Matters: Wisdom for Today from the Book of Proverbs; Ethical and Unethical in the Old Testament: God and Humans in Dialogue (Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies); Get Wisdom, Get Insight: An Introduction to Israel's Wisdom Literature; The Book of Proverbs in Social and Theological Context; and Shaking a Fist at God: Struggling With the Mystery of Undeserved Suffering
Koorong - Editorial Review.
- List Of Abbreviations
- List Of Contributors
- 0. Introduction
- Katharine Dell And Will Kynes
- Part I: Proverbs In Dialogue With The Hebrew Bible
- 1. Wisdom Is The Tree Of Life: A Study Of Proverbs 3:13-20 And Genesis 2-3 - Christine Roy Yoder, Columbia Theological Seminary, Usa
- 2. "teach Them Diligently To Your Son!": The Book Of Proverbs And Deuteronomy - Bernd U. Schipper - Humboldt University, Germany
- 3. Wisdom Defined Through Narrative And Intertextual Network: 1 Kings 1-11 And Proverbs - Will Kynes, Whitworth University, Usa
- 4. Proverbs And Isaiah 1-39 - John Goldingay, Fuller Theological Seminary, Usa
- 5. Rebuke, Complaint, Lament, And Praise: Reading Proverbs And Psalms Together - William P. Brown, Columbia Theological Seminary, Usa
- 6. The Proverbial Rhetoric Of Job 28 - Scott C. Jones, Covenant College, Uk
- 7. Twice-told Proverbs As Inner-biblical Exegesis - Mark Sneed, Lubbock Christian University, Usa
- 8. Didactic Intertextuality: Proverbial Wisdom As Illustrated In Ruth - Katharine Dell, University Of Cambridge, Uk
- 9. Erotic Wisdom For A More Independent Youth: Is There A Debate Between Song Of Songs And Proverbs? - Anselm C. Hagedorn, Universitat Osnabruck, Germany
- 10. Qohelet As A Reader Of Proverbs - Markus Saur, Bonn University, Germany
- Proverbs In Dialogue With Texts Throughout History
- 11. Intertextuality Between The Book Of Ben Sira And The Book Of Proverbs - Pancratius C. Beentjes, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
- 12. Aphorisms And Admonitions: The Reuse Of Proverbs In 4qwiles Of The Wicked Woman - William A. Tooman, University Of St. Andrews, Uk
- 13. Proverbs In Dialogue With The New Testament - Knut M. Heim, Denver Theological Seminary, Usa
- 14. Proverbs 8:22 And The Arian Controversy - Susannah Ticciati, Kings College London, Uk
- 15. "better X Than Y": Context And Meaning In Proverbs, Qohelet, And Midrashic Collections - Susan Niditch, Amherst College, Usa
- 16. Proverbs And The Confucian Classics - Christopher D. Hancock, Oxford House, Uk
- 17. Sex And Power(lessness) In Selected Northern Sotho And Yoruba Proverbs: An Intertextual Reading Of Proverbs 5-7 - Funlola Olojede, Stellenbosch University, South Africa And Madipoane J. Masenya, University Of South Africa, South Africa