Out of PrintUnavailable
You May Also Like
Highly Commended, Australian Christian Literature Society Christian Book of the Year Award 1999 Despite its bold promise of fulfilment and hope, secular rationalism-and its twin, modern science-have left our lives arid and empty, devoid of meaning and purpose. In Reasons of the Heart Bruce Wilson explores other ways of knowing to secular rationalism-ways which create wholeness and purpose, open up other worlds of reality, and put us in touch with ourselves and with God. These ways of knowing include emotional intelligence, intuition, mysticism and love. A central theme is the concept of 'theophany'-a manifestation or appearance of God to a human being. Bruce Wilson relates stories about individuals' theophanic experiences, which may be ordinary or may be dramatic and visionary. He uses Patrick White as an example throughout the book of someone who had such a life-changing experience-a side of White not previously focused on. Bruce Wilson argues that what Western society most needs is not a system of dogma to be believed, nor a set of rules to be obeyed, but something deeper and less tangible-the inner-worldly Eastern religion of Jesus. This is Bruce Wilson's third book. In the early 1980s he wrote The Human Journey, winner of the inaugural ACLS Award, and the widely read Can God Survive in Australia? Currently he is the bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Bathurst in New South Wales. He is married to Zandra and has two adult children.
Theologian, social scientist and Anglican Bishop Bruce Wilson offers a fresh interpretation of Christ's religion for a post-modern, post-Christian culture emphasising experience, not dogma or theory.
PETER AMES CARLIN's award-winning reportage on Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys has appeared in the "New York Times," "People," "American Heritage," and the "Portland Oregonian," where he is currently the newspaper's television critic. Previously he was a senior writer for "People" in New York.
- Part 1 Out Of The Closet: Theophany - Mud, Meteorites And Mystical
- Foolery - Seeing Differently In Order To See
- Insanity - Going Mad In Order To Be Sane
- Mystery - The Re-enchantment Of Self And Life. Part 2 From Naivety To
- Innocence: Integrating The Negative - The Journey From No To Yes
- Thinking The Unthinkable - The Spiritual Journey From Naivety To Innocence
- Massacre Of The Innocent - Only A Suffering God Will Do
- Only Love Redeems - The Meaning Of Life Is Not "42"
- Cloud Of Unknowing - Waiting In The Darkness For Light
- Three Colours Innocent - A Path From Naivety Through Complexity To