Recovering the Full Mission of God
Is our gospel witness too small? Should the gospel be proclaimed in words only? Or should we preach the gospel in deeds&mdashand when necessary use words? Or are we missing something in playing the witness of words against deeds? If...
In Stock9 available
You May Also Like
Is our gospel witness too small? Should the gospel be proclaimed in words only? Or should we preach the gospel in deeds&mdashand when necessary use words? Or are we missing something in playing the witness of words against deeds? If you are concerned about evangelizing the post-Christian West or the world beyond, you have probably debated this issue. And evangelical instincts drive us to Scripture. In Recovering the Full Mission of God, Dean Flemming joins biblical scholarship with missionary experience as he surveys the Old Testament and then looks closely at the New Testament and the early church. Flemming shows how the three strands of telling, doing and being relate in the mission of God and his people. Here is a book in touch with the missional realities of our time and grounded in the missional vision of biblical revelation. It gives us a clear vision of the rich and multifaceted nature of "gospeling" the kingdom of God.
Dean Flemming (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen) is a lecturer in New Testament and Intercultural Communication at European Nazarene College in Bsingen, Germany. An experienced missionary educator, he formerly taught at Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary in the Philippines (1987-1997). He has also served on the faculty of the Asia Graduate School of Theology and has taught and spoken in numerous countries throughout Asia, the Pacific, Europe and the Middle East. Flemming has written extensively on the subject of contextualization. An ordained elder in the Church of the Nazarene, he has pastored churches in Ohio and Japan. He is the author the award winning book Contextualization in the New Testament and Philippians (New Beacon Bible Commentary).
- 1. A People Of Blessing: Israel’s Missional Life
- 2. A Story To Tell To The Nations? Israel’s Witness Of Word
- 3. Announcing And Embodying God’s Reign: The Full Mission Of Jesus
- 4. Doer, Teacher, Savior: Portraits Of Mission In The Synoptic Gospels
- 5. A Mission Of Sending Love: Being, Doing And Telling In John’s Gospel
- 6. You Will Be My Witnesses: Speaking And Living The Gospel In Acts
- 7. Compelled By Christ’s Love: Paul’s Holistic Mission
- 8. Partners In The Gospel: The Missional Life Of Paul’s Churches
- 9. Mission From The Margins: Being, Doing And Telling In 1 Peter
- 10. Following The Lamb: Word And Life Mission In Revelation
- 11. What Difference Does It Make? Concluding Reflections
- For Further Reference
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index