Rediscovering Scripture's Vision For Women: Fresh Perspectives on Disputed Texts
:Does God call women to serve as equal partners in marriage and as leaders in the church? The answer to this straightforward question is deeply contested. Into the fray, Lucy Peppiatt offers her work on interpretation of the Bible...
Available Now.10+ Available
You may also like
:Does God call women to serve as equal partners in marriage and as leaders in the church? The answer to this straightforward question is deeply contested. Into the fray, Lucy Peppiatt offers her work on interpretation of the Bible and Christian practice. With careful exegetical work, Peppiatt considers relevant passages in Ephesians, Colossians, 1 Peter, 1 Timothy, and 1 Corinthians. There she finds a story of God releasing women alongside men into all forms of ministry, leadership, work, and service on the basis of character and gifting, rather than biological sex. Those who see the overturning of male-dominated hierarchy in the Scriptures, she argues, are truly rediscovering an ancient message-a message distorted by those who assumed that a patriarchal world, which they sometimes saw reflected in the Bible, was the one God had ordained.
Lucy Peppiatt is the Principal of Westminster Theological Centre, based in Cheltenham, UK. She is the author of The Disciple: On Becoming Truly Human (2012).
- :foreword By Scot Mcknight
- 1. An Androcentric Story? Men Everywhere!
- 2. Joining The Story: The Place Of Women In God’s Great Plan
- 3. A Woman’s Natural Place: What The Creation Narratives Tell Us
- 4. Talking Heads: The Meaning Of Headship
- 5. Balancing Marriage: The Hierarchicalist View
- 6. Redressing The Balance: The Mutualist View Of Marriage
- 7. Mistranslations, Misinterpretations, And Misunderstandings: The Dominant Narrative Of Male Bias
- 8. A Final Barrier: 1 Timothy 2:8-15
- Scripture Index