Relatable: Exploring God, Love & Connection in the Age of Choice
Relationships are changing, and the church is struggling to keep up. Many Christians are adrift, faced with a faith culture far removed from their experiences and a faith that finds itself in interesting times: diverging theologies, reports of a shrinking...
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
Relationships are changing, and the church is struggling to keep up. Many Christians are adrift, faced with a faith culture far removed from their experiences and a faith that finds itself in interesting times: diverging theologies, reports of a shrinking church, and unequal numbers of women and men. Add to that the effect of technology on how people meet and match, the growing problem of loneliness, and changing norms of dating, family, sex, marriage, work, and life. What is the future for relationships between men and women? What will singleness and marriage look like? Relatable hopes to provide answers and start conversations. Exploring science, sociology, history, theology, and the many, many messages circulating in society and church culture about men, women and relationships (spoiler: some of them are pretty wild...), Relatable looks at the history of marriage (spoiler: even wilder), and why Christians are prone to promote coupling up as the ultimate achievement. From Old Testament polygamy to Samantha the sex robot, changing perceptions of singleness, sexual hang ups and celibacy, why dating looks different when it happens through a screen, whether women and men really are so different, who doesn't go to church and why, and whether churches can be part of the answer in creating supportive communities. Almost 1500 people contributed, sharing experiences and opinions with the Real Life Love survey and they're a core part of the book. From teens to over sixties, stories from all stages of life and love bring into focus the challenges of navigating faith and relationships.
Vicky Walker is a writer, speaker and radio broadcaster fascinated by modern relationships and where faith fits in the world. She has presented on BBC Radio 4's Daily Service and Premier Radio. She also organises the Gathering of Women Leaders and a faith community for artists in London.
- Introduction Welcome To Relatable
- 1. Modern Love: How Did We Get Here?
- 2. Christian Relationships Are Really Easy And Straightforward
- 3. Girls And Boys And Men And Women And God
- 4. How To Read Christian Relationship Advice And Not Die Inside
- 5. 21st Century Dating: Technology, Ambiguity, And Other Fun Things
- 6. A Practical Guide To Meeting Another Human
- 7. A Brief History Of Christian Sexual Awkwardness
- 8. Non-negotiables And The Numbers Game
- 9. Practical Heresy? Relationships Outside The Faith
- 10. Going The Distance - Marriage And Long Term Love
- 11. Issues, Isolation, And Dysfunction
- 12. The Single Issue
- 13. Take Me To Church
- Epilogue In Their Own Words