ECPA 2003 Gold Medallion FinalistWe need companions on our spiritual journey.The modern world has taught us to value autonomy and individualism. Our churches often see spirituality as personal and private. But we cannot go long in our Christian pilgrimage before...
You May Also Like
ECPA 2003 Gold Medallion FinalistWe need companions on our spiritual journey.The modern world has taught us to value autonomy and individualism. Our churches often see spirituality as personal and private. But we cannot go long in our Christian pilgrimage before realizing that isolation leads to spiritual barrenness. We soon discover that our souls long for accompaniment, intimacy and spiritual friendship. As a result, many Christians today are rediscovering the ancient practice of spiritual direction.In this inviting guide, David G. Benner introduces readers to the riches of spiritual friendship and direction, explaining what they are and how they are practiced. Spiritual direction moves beyond mere moral lifestyle accountability and goes deeper than popular notions of mentoring or discipling. Through prayerful, guided attunement to God's activity, sacred companions provide care for the soul.If we are to experience significant spiritual formation and growth, our souls must be nurtured through spiritual companions. Benner, well-accustomed to God's work through relationships, models the kind of traveling companion who can move us toward deeper intimacy with God.
Dr. Larry Crabb is a well-known psychologist, seminar speaker, Bible teacher, author and founder/director of New Way Ministries. He is also Scholar in Residence at Colorado Christian University and serves as Spiritual Director for the American Association of Christian Counsellors. His many popular books include Inside Out, Finding God, Connecting, The Safest Place on Earth, The Papa Prayer, SoulTalk and most recently Real Church: Does it exist? Can I find it?
David G. Benner (Ph.D., York University)is an internationally known psychologist, author, spiritual guide, and personal transformation coach who has spent thirty-five years integrating psychology and spirituality. He currently serves as emeritus distinguished professor of psychology and spirituality at Richmont Graduate University in Atlanta, Georgia, and an associate fellow at the Centre for Studies in Religion and Society at University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada.
He was professor of psychology at Redeemer College (Ontario) and a practicing clinical psychologist. He is the author or editor of twenty books, including the Baker Encyclopedia of Psychology and Counseling and most recently Spirituality and the Awakening Self: The Sacred Journey of Transformation; Soulful Spirituality: Becoming Fully Alive and Deeply Human and Opening to God: Lectio Divina and Life as Prayer
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- Ecpa 2003 Gold Medallion Finalistwe Need Companions On Our Spiritual Journey.the Modern World Has Taught Us To Value Autonomy And Individualism. Our Churches Often See Spirituality As Personal And Private. But We Cannot Go Long In Our Christian Pilgrimage Before Realizing That Isolation Leads To Spiritual Barrenness. We Soon Discover That Our Souls Long For Accompaniment, Intimacy And Spiritual Friendship. As A Result, Many Christians Today Are Rediscovering The Ancient Practice Of Spiritual Direction.in This Inviting Guide, David G. Benner Introduces Readers To The Riches Of Spiritual Friendship And Direction, Explaining What They Are And How They Are Practiced. Spiritual Direction Moves Beyond Mere Moral Lifestyle Accountability And Goes Deeper Than Popular Notions Of Mentoring Or Discipling. Through Prayerful, Guided Attunement To God's Activity, Sacred Companions Provide Care For The Soul.if We Are To Experience Significant Spiritual Formation And Growth, Our Souls Must Be Nurtured Through Spiritual Companions. Benner, Well-accustomed To God's Work Through Relationships, Models The Kind Of Traveling Companion Who Can Move Us Toward Deeper Intimacy With God.
- Preface: Companions On The Spiritual Journey
- <strong>part One: Spiritual Friendship</strong>
- 1. The Transformational Journey
- 2. Hospitality, Presence & Dialogue
- 3. Ideals Of Spiritual Friendship
- <strong>part Two: Spiritual Direction</strong>
- 4. Demystifying Spiritual Direction
- 5. Soul Attunement
- 6. A Portrait Of The Process
- 7. Becoming A Spiritual Director
- <strong>part Three: Combining Spiritual Friendship & Direction</strong>
- 8. Spiritual Accompaniment In Small Groups
- 9. Spiritual Accompaniment In Marriage
- Epilogue: The High Calling Of Sacred Companions
- Suggestions For Further Reading
- General Listing