Winner of a 2006 Logos Book Award Do you long for a deep, fundamental change in your life with God? Do you desire a greater intimacy with God? Do you wonder how you might truly live your life...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
Winner of a 2006 Logos Book Award
Do you long for a deep, fundamental change in your life with God? Do you desire a greater intimacy with God? Do you wonder how you might truly live your life as God created you to live it? Spiritual disciplines are activities that open us to God's transforming love and the changes that only God can bring about in our lives. Picking up on the monastic tradition of creating a "rule of life" that allows for regular space for the practice of the spiritual disciplines, this book takes you more deeply into understanding seven key disciplines along with practical ideas for weaving them into everyday life. Each chapter includes exercises to help you begin the practices--individually and in a group context. The final chapter puts it all together in a way that will help you arrange your life for spiritual transformation. The choice to establish your own sacred rhythm is the most important choice you can make with your life.
Ruth Haley Barton is co-founder and president of The Transforming Center (www.thetransformingcenter.org), a ministry dedicated to caring for the souls of pastors and Christian leaders. A teacher, spiritual director, and retreat leader, she has served on the pastoral staff of several churches including Willow Creek Community Church and is the author of numerous books and resources on the spiritual life including Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership, Sacred Rhythms, Longing for More, Equal To The Task and Invitation to Solitude and Silence.
- <ul> <li>winner Of A 2006 Logos Book Award</li> </ul> Do You Long For A Deep, Fundamental Change In Your Life With God? Do You Desire A Greater Intimacy With God? Do You Wonder How You Might Truly Live Your Life As God Created You To Live It? Spiritual Disciplines Are Activities That Open Us To God's Transforming Love And The Changes That Only God Can Bring About In Our Lives. Picking Up On The Monastic Tradition Of Creating A "rule Of Life" That Allows For Regular Space For The Practice Of The Spiritual Disciplines, This Book Takes You More Deeply Into Understanding Seven Key Disciplines Along With Practical Ideas For Weaving Them Into Everyday Life. Each Chapter Includes Exercises To Help You Begin The Practices--individually And In A Group Context. The Final Chapter Puts It All Together In A Way That Will Help You Arrange Your Life For Spiritual Transformation. The Choice To Establish Your Own Sacred Rhythm Is The Most Important Choice You Can Make With Your Life.
- 1. Longing For More: An Invitation To Spiritual Transformation
- 2. Solitude: Creating Space For God
- 3. Scripture: Encountering God Through Lectio Divina
- 4. Prayer: Deepening Our Intimacy With God
- 5. Honoring The Body: Flesh-and-blood Spirituality
- 6. Self-examination: Bringing My Whole Self Before God
- 7. Discernment: Recognizing And Responding To The Presence Of God
- 8. Sabbath: Establishing Rhythms Of Work And Rest
- 9. A Rule Of Life: Cultivating Rhythms For Spiritual Transformation
- A Note Of Gratitude
- Appendix A: Journeying Together
- Appendix B: Leading A Group Experience
- Appendix C: Choosing Spiritual Disciplines That Correspond To Our Needs