Seven Lies About Sex
Why should we wait for sex? How can we wait? And what if it's already too late?We believe what we want to, whether or not it is true. We buy into cultural lies about what to value and how to...
Out of PrintUnavailable
You May Also Like
Why should we wait for sex? How can we wait? And what if it's already too late?We believe what we want to, whether or not it is true. We buy into cultural lies about what to value and how to spend our time and resources. And when it comes to relationships, intimacy and sexuality, our culture almost always encourages us to choose the easy lie over the hard truth. The problem is that building relationships on lies won't work for long.In this booklet, Alice Fryling confronts these lies:Sex creates intimacy.Starting sex early in a relationship will help you get to know one another and enhance your relationship later.Sex without long-term commitment is fun and freeing.If you don't express your sexuality freely, you must be repressed, sick or a prude.Sex is freedom.This is the 20th century! How can God say that sex outside of marriage is still wrong?You can't prove waiting is best. Maybe it's best to take what I can while I can.After exposing these lies for what they are, Fryling offers seven strategies for defeating or escaping sexual temptation. She shows how God's plan for sexuality within marriage is the only way to experience true satisfaction, intimacy and belonging. At the conclusion of the booklet, she also offers advice and hope for those who have not waited--describing how they can experience forgiveness and healing through obedience to God from now on.
Alice Fryling is a spiritual director, conference speaker, and the author of numerous books, including The Art of Spiritual Listening, Seeking God Together and Disciplemakers' Handbook. She frequently speaks to student groups and women' s conferences, gives seminars on relationship topics, and counsels engaged and married couples with her husband, Bob.
- :a Common Mistake
- <strong>seven Lies</strong>
- Lie #1: Sex Creates Intimacy.
- Lie #2: Starting Sex Early In A Relationship Will Help You Get To Know One Another And Enhance Your Relationship Later.
- Lie #3: Sex Without Long-term Commitment Is Fun And Freeing.
- Lie #4: If You Aren't Sexually Active, You Must Be Repressed, Sick Or A Prude.
- Lie #5: Sex Is Freedom.
- Lie #6: This Is The 20th Century! How Can God Say That Sex Outside Of Marriage Is Still Wrong?
- Lie #7: You Can't Prove Waiting Is Best. Maybe It's Best To Take What I Can While I Can.
- <strong>you Can Take Control</strong>
- 1. Be Wise, Not Naive.
- 2. Accept The Fact That Complete Satisfaction Has To Wait.
- 3. Value Your Future Mate Now.
- 4. Set Your Standards High.
- 5. Guard Your Commitments Carefully.
- 6. Help Each Other Stay True.
- 7. Keep In Mind That Men And Women Respond Differently To Sexual Stimulation.
- 8. Don't Let Feelings Guide Your Sexual Behavior.
- What If It's Too Late To Wait?
- Further Reading