Small Things With Great Love
Margot Starbuck is back with as much passion and energy as ever. In thirty brief chapters, she invites you to choose the adventure that fits who you are in authentically loving those around you. Yes, she knows: just the thought...
Available Now.4 Available
You may also like
Margot Starbuck is back with as much passion and energy as ever. In thirty brief chapters, she invites you to choose the adventure that fits who you are in authentically loving those around you. Yes, she knows: just the thought of adding something more to your life sounds exhausting. But here's the fantastic truth she's discovered in her own journey: "We don't have to add lots more overwhelming activity to what we've already got going. The regular stuff of our lives--the commute to work and the potlucks and home improvement projects and errands and play dates--are the exact places in which we express and experience God's love for a world in need."
With a list of resources, a study guide and a six-week "Adventure Challenge," as well as plenty of stories and hilarity from Margot's own life, Small Things with Great Love will open your eyes to the people around you and the huge impact you can have on them through small acts of love.
"Small things happen when I learn the name of my daughter's school bus driver," Margot writes. "Small things happen when I listen to the dreams of a woman who lives in a group home on my block. Small things happen when I risk crossing a language barrier even though I look really stupid doing it."
And small things add up to big adventures and surprises, for you and others. The biggest surprise of all might be how powerfully God can use you, right in the midst of your walking-the-dog, paying-the-bills, doing-laundry life, when you're living out his love. Do the first small thing by opening these pages--and let the adventure begin!
Margot Starbuck (M.Div. Princeton Theological Seminary) is a popular speaker at conferences and retreats and on college campuses. Previously Starbuck worked for six years as the Director of Spiritual Development at the Eastern Christian Children's Retreat in Wyckoff, New Jersey, serving women and men living with disabilities. She also served as the interim pastor at Ponds Reformed Church in Oakland, New Jersey.
Starbuck's recent activities include writing for a variety of publications such as Rev!, Pray and Neueserving as a volunteer with Reality Ministries, where she has the privilege of being friends with teens living with disabilities. She has recently written The Girl in the Orange Dress: Searching for a Father Who Does Not Fail and Unsqueezed: Springing Free from Skinny Jeans, Nose Jobs, Highlights and Stilettos.
- Foreword By Tony Campolo
- Preface: Navigating This Adventure Book
- Introduction: My Reluctance About Following Super-jesus
- 1. The Plan: Biggest Loser Wins
- 2. Bible: Everyone Knows The Bible Is About Spiritual Things . . .
- 3. Awareness: How I'm So Easily Overwhelmed By Npr
- 4. Our Own: Final Flight Instructions
- 5. Stranger: Why Jesus Crossed The Road And Why We Do
- 6. Extroverts: Promise Not To Brag
- 7. Introverts: If There's One Thing I Hate, It's A Party
- 8. Men: The Drum Major Instinct
- 9. Women: Salvaging A Holy Train Wreck
- 10. Young: Chillin' With The Justice League
- 11. Middle: When You're Well-networked
- 12. Old: Goodbye La-z-boy, Hello World
- 13. School: Rule One Is "love The Ones You're With"
- 14. Work: Because It's About So Much More Than A Paycheck
- 15. Home: Hospitality That Has Nothing To Do With Martha Stewart
- 16. Urban: You Have Hit The Jackpot!
- 17. Rural: Families Knowing Families
- 18. Suburbs: What Mr. Mcfeely Doesn't Know About Joe Poverty
- 19. Single: Weird Kingdom Math
- 20. Marriage: Oscar, Felix And Jesus
- 21. Caregiving: When A World In Need Poops On Your Pot
- 22. Parenting: When A Little Child Leads, Get Out Of The Way
- 23. Family Values: Some Of My Favorite American Idols
- 24. Mindfulness: Yet One More Inconvenient Truth
- 25. Spend Less: The Veritable Hazards Of Cutie Foods
- 26. Spend More: Not Nearly As Bananas As It First Seems
- 27. Give: Beyond Fat Wallets
- 28. Impact: Bus Justice, Bake Sales And Big Dreams
- 29. Influence: Roping Others Into Kingdom Shenanigans
- 30. Transformation: Implementing Some Holy Tweaking
- The Adventure Challenge