Soul Care in African American Practice
:Christians have long practiced classic spiritual disciplines such as worship, fellowship, solitude, and listening. But not much has been said about how these practices look when embodied in an African American tradition and context. Spiritual director and pastor Barbara...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 4 to 5 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
:Christians have long practiced classic spiritual disciplines such as worship, fellowship, solitude, and listening. But not much has been said about how these practices look when embodied in an African American tradition and context. Spiritual director and pastor Barbara Peacock illustrates how the practices of spiritual formation and spiritual disciplines are woven into African American culture and lived out in the rich heritage of its faith community. Using the examples of ten significant men and women-Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Darrell Griffin, Renita Weems, Harold Carter, Jessica Ingram, Coretta Scott King, James Washington, and Howard Thurman-Barbara offers us the opportunity to engage in practices of soul care as we learn from these spiritual leaders. If you've yearned for a more culturally authentic experience of spiritual transformation in your life and community, this book will help you grow in new yet timeless ways. Come to the river to draw deeply for your soul's refreshment.
- <strong>part I: African American Spiritual Leaders: Spiritual Direction And Disciplines</strong>
- 1. Dr. Fredrick Douglas: Spiritual Direction And Lectio Divina
- 2. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr: Spiritual Direction And Prayer
- 3. Mrs. Rosa Parks: Spiritual Direction, Meditation, And Contemplation
- 4. Darrell Griffin: Spiritual Direction And Spiritual Director
- 5. Dr. Renita Weems: Spiritual Direction And Detachment And Attachment
- <strong>part Ii: African American Spiritual Leaders: Prayer And Disciplines</strong>
- 6. Dr. Harold Carter: Prayer And Generational Spiritual Foundation
- 7. Dr. Jessica Ingram: Prayer And Effective Spiritual Direction
- 8. Mrs. Coretta Scott King: Prayer And Civil Rights
- 9. Dr. James Washington: Prayer And Resting
- 10. Dr. Howard Thurman: Prayer And Suffering
- <strong>conclusion: Connecting Prayer, Spiritual Direction, And Soul Care</strong>
- About The Author