Soul Care in African American Practice
In the midst of our hectic, overscheduled lives, caring for the soul is imperative. Now, more than ever, we need to pause-intentionally-and encounter the Divine. Soul care director Barbara Peacock illustrates a journey of prayer, spiritual direction, and soul care...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
In the midst of our hectic, overscheduled lives, caring for the soul is imperative. Now, more than ever, we need to pause-intentionally-and encounter the Divine. Soul care director Barbara Peacock illustrates a journey of prayer, spiritual direction, and soul care from an African American perspective. She reflects on how these disciplines are woven into the African American culture and lived out in the rich heritage of its faith community. Using examples of ten significant men and women-Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Darrell Griffin, Renita Weems, Harold Carter, Jessica Ingram, Coretta Scott King, James Washington, and Howard Thurman-Barbara offers us the opportunity to engage in practices of soul care as we learn from these spiritual leaders. If you've yearned for a more culturally authentic experience of spiritual transformation in your life and community, this book will help you grow in new yet timeless ways. Come to the river to draw deeply for your soul's refreshment.
- In The Midst Of Our Hectic, Overscheduled Lives, Caring For The Soul Is Imperative. Now, More Than Ever, We Need To Pause-intentionally-and Encounter The Divine. Soul Care Director Barbara Peacock Illustrates A Journey Of Prayer, Spiritual Direction, And Soul Care From An African American Perspective. She Reflects On How These Disciplines Are Woven Into The African American Culture And Lived Out In The Rich Heritage Of Its Faith Community. Using Examples Of Ten Significant Men And Women-frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Darrell Griffin, Renita Weems, Harold Carter, Jessica Ingram, Coretta Scott King, James Washington, And Howard Thurman-barbara Offers Us The Opportunity To Engage In Practices Of Soul Care As We Learn From These Spiritual Leaders. If You've Yearned For A More Culturally Authentic Experience Of Spiritual Transformation In Your Life And Community, This Book Will Help You Grow In New Yet Timeless Ways. Come To The River To Draw Deeply For Your Soul's Refreshment.
- <strong>part I: African American Spiritual Leaders: Spiritual Direction And Disciplines</strong>
- 1. Dr. Fredrick Douglas: Spiritual Direction And Lectio Divina
- 2. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr: Spiritual Direction And Prayer
- 3. Mrs. Rosa Parks: Spiritual Direction, Meditation, And Contemplation
- 4. Darrell Griffin: Spiritual Direction And Spiritual Director
- 5. Dr. Renita Weems: Spiritual Direction And Detachment And Attachment
- <strong>part Ii: African American Spiritual Leaders: Prayer And Disciplines</strong>
- 6. Dr. Harold Carter: Prayer And Generational Spiritual Foundation
- 7. Dr. Jessica Ingram: Prayer And Effective Spiritual Direction
- 8. Mrs. Coretta Scott King: Prayer And Civil Rights
- 9. Dr. James Washington: Prayer And Resting
- 10. Dr. Howard Thurman: Prayer And Suffering
- <strong>conclusion: Connecting Prayer, Spiritual Direction, And Soul Care</strong>
- About The Author