Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
Maybe you long for a more intimate prayer life or deeper insight from God's Word but just don't know how to get there. Or maybe you want to learn about new spiritual disciplines like visio divina, unplugging or attentiveness.In ...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
Maybe you long for a more intimate prayer life or deeper insight from God's Word but just don't know how to get there. Or maybe you want to learn about new spiritual disciplines like visio divina, unplugging or attentiveness.In Spiritual Disciplines Handbook Adele Calhoun gives us directions for our continuing journey toward intimacy with Christ. While the word discipline may make us want to run and hide, the author shows how desires and discipline work together to lead us to the transformation we're longing for?the transformation only Christ can bring. Instead of just giving information about spiritual disciplines, this handbook is full of practical, accessible guidance that helps you actually practice them.With over 80,000 copies in print, this well-loved catalog of seventy-five disciplines has been revised throughout and expanded to include thirteen new disciplines along with a new preface by the author.Mothers, fathers, plumbers, nurses, students?we're all on a journey. And spiritual disciplines are for all of us who desire to know Christ deeply and be like him. Here is direction for our desire, leading us to the ultimate destination: more of Christ himself.
Adele Ahlberg Calhoun (MA, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary) has worked in Christian ministry for over thirty years and is currently copastor, with her husband, Doug, of Redeemer Community Church in Needham, Massachusetts. She was formerly pastor of spiritual formation at Christ Church in Oak Brook, Illinois. A trained spiritual director, she has taught courses at Wheaton College and Northern Baptist Theological Seminary. In the early 1970s she helped pioneer student work with the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students in Southeast Asia and the Middle East. She has also worked wit
- Maybe You Long For A More Intimate Prayer Life Or Deeper Insight From God's Word But Just Don't Know How To Get There. Or Maybe You Want To Learn About New Spiritual Disciplines Like <em>visio Divina</em>, Unplugging Or Attentiveness.in <em>spiritual Disciplines Handbook</em> Adele Calhoun Gives Us Directions For Our Continuing Journey Toward Intimacy With Christ. While The Word <em>discipline</em> May Make Us Want To Run And Hide, The Author Shows How Desires And Discipline Work Together To Lead Us To The Transformation We're Longing For?the Transformation Only Christ Can Bring. Instead Of Just Giving Information <em>about</em> Spiritual Disciplines, This Handbook Is Full Of Practical, Accessible Guidance That Helps You Actually <em>practice</em> Them.with Over 80,000 Copies In Print, This Well-loved Catalog Of Seventy-five Disciplines Has Been Revised Throughout And Expanded To Include Thirteen New Disciplines Along With A New Preface By The Author.mothers, Fathers, Plumbers, Nurses, Students?we're All On A Journey. And Spiritual Disciplines Are For All Of Us Who Desire To Know Christ Deeply And Be Like Him. Here Is Direction For Our Desire, Leading Us To The Ultimate Destination: More Of Christ Himself.
- <strong>part I: Worship</strong>
- Celebrationgratitudeholy Communionrule For Lifesabbathvisio Divinaworship
- <strong>part Ii: Open Myself To God</strong>
- Contemplationexameniconographyjournalingpilgrimagepracticing The Presencerestretreatself-caresimplicityslowingteachabilityunplugging
- <strong>part Iii: Relinquish The False Self</strong>
- Confession And Self-examinationdetachmentdiscernmentmindfulnesssecrecysilencesobrietysolitude Spiritual Directionsubmissionwaiting
- <strong>part Iv: Share My Life With Others</strong>
- Accountability Partner Chastity Communitycovenant Groupdiscipling Face-to-face Connectionhospitalitymentoringservicesmall Groupspiritual Friendshipunitywitness
- <strong>part V: Hear God’s Word</strong>
- Bible Studylectio Divina/devotional Readingmeditationmemorization
- <strong>part Vi: Incarnate The Love Of Christ</strong>
- Blessing Others/encouragementcare Of The Earthcompassioncontrol Of The Tongue Forgivenesshumility Justicesolidarity In Jesus' Sufferingsstewardshiptruth Telling
- <strong>part Vii: Pray</strong>
- Breath Prayercentering Prayercontemplative Prayerconversational Prayerfastingfixed-hour Prayerinner-healing Prayerintercessory Prayerlabyrinth Prayerlistening Prayerliturgical Prayerprayer Of Lamentprayer Partnerspraying Scriptureprayer Of Recollectionprayer Walkingwelcoming Prayer
- Acknowledgmentsappendix 1: Spiritual Growth Plannerappendix 2: A Series On Spiritual Disciplines For The Congregationappendix 3: Suggestions For Spiritual Mentorsappendix 4: Using The Spiritual Disciplines Handbook With Small Groupsappendix 5: Names For Worshiping Godappendix 6: One Anothersappendix 7: Postures For Prayerappendix 8: Spending Time With Godappendix 9: Suggestions For Fasting Prayer For The Churchappendix 10: Seasons, Stages And Ages Of Transformationglossarybibliographyindex Of Spiritual Disciplines