Spirituality According to Paul
Spirituality often evokes images of quiet centeredness, meditative serenity and freedom from life's pressures. It’s become a chic commodity, with its benefits evoked by images of sunrises and secluded retreats. Contrast the apostle Paul, who promotes a cross-shaped spirituality for...
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
Spirituality often evokes images of quiet centeredness, meditative serenity and freedom from life's pressures. It’s become a chic commodity, with its benefits evoked by images of sunrises and secluded retreats. Contrast the apostle Paul, who promotes a cross-shaped spirituality for fools making their way though life's trials. Paul realized that images of crucifixion, burial and resurrection would never be popular images of the spiritual life. So he encourages his fellow travelers, who are spiritually united with Christ, to "follow me as I follow Christ." As he explores this ancient spiritual path, Rodney Reeves probes our understanding of what Christian spirituality should be. And to illuminate its transformative power, he gives us living illustrations of what it means to follow Paul as he followed Christ. Here is a book that joins a deep understanding of Paul with a pastoral and spiritual wisdom born of experience.
Rodney Reeves earned his Ph.D. at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and has done postdoctoral study at Oxford University. He is dean of The Courts Redford College of Theology and Ministry and professor of Biblical Studies at Southwest Baptist University, both in Bolivar, Missouri. He served previously as a pastor with churches in Arkansas and Texas. He is the author ofA Genuine Faith: How to Follow Jesus Today. His articles have appeared in journals such as Perspectives in Religious Studies, Biblical Illustrator, Southwestern Journal of Theology and Preaching.
- Part 1: Crucified With Christ
- 1 Foolish Death: Suffering The Loss Of All Things
- 2 Living Sacrifice: Crucifying The World
- 3 Holy Temples: Denying The Flesh
- 4 Free Slaves: Graceful Obedience
- Part 2: Buried With Christ
- 5 Whole Body: One Faith
- 6 Common Bonds: Worship As Corporate Reality
- 7 Sacred Community: Sex And Marriage
- 8 Generous Fellowship: Work And Money
- Part 3: Raised With Christ
- 9 Bold Confession: Wasting No Time
- 10 Blessed Hope: The Wait/weight Of Glory
- 11 Putting Up A Fight: Opposing The Powers
- 12 Seeing Things: Mystical Journeys
- Conclusion: The Imitable Life
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index