"When my doctor told me I was dying, I came alive." What happens when you come face-to-face with your mortality? When your body fails you, what happens to your faith? Russ Ramsey was struck by a bacterial infection that destroyed...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
"When my doctor told me I was dying, I came alive." What happens when you come face-to-face with your mortality? When your body fails you, what happens to your faith? Russ Ramsey was struck by a bacterial infection that destroyed his mitral valve, sending him into heart failure and requiring urgent open-heart surgery. As he faced the possibility of death, he found himself awakened to new realities. In the critical days and months that followed, Ramsey came to see the world through the eyes of affliction. He grappled with fear, anger, depression, and loss, and yet he experienced grace through the suffering that filled him with a hope and hunger for the life to come. This profoundly eloquent memoir gives voice to the deepest questions of the human condition. In the midst of pain, we can see glimpses of eternity.
Scott Sauls is senior pastor of Christ Presbyterian Church in Nashville, Tennessee and author of Jesus Outside the Lines, Befriend, and From Weakness to Strength . Prior to Nashville, Scott served at New York City's Redeemer Presbyterian Church as a lead and preaching pastor and planted two churches. Scott's work has been featured in publications including Christianity Today, Relevant, Qideas, Catalyst, Leadership Magazine, aholyexperience, Table Talk, The Gospel Coalition, Key Life, as well as other publications. Scott can be found on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram at @scottsauls, and he blogs weekly at scottsauls.com.
Ramsey is a West Point graduate.
- <strong>"when My Doctor Told Me I Was Dying, I Came Alive."</strong> What Happens When You Come Face-to-face With Your Mortality? When Your Body Fails You, What Happens To Your Faith? Russ Ramsey Was Struck By A Bacterial Infection That Destroyed His Mitral Valve, Sending Him Into Heart Failure And Requiring Urgent Open-heart Surgery. As He Faced The Possibility Of Death, He Found Himself Awakened To New Realities. In The Critical Days And Months That Followed, Ramsey Came To See The World Through The Eyes Of Affliction. He Grappled With Fear, Anger, Depression, And Loss, And Yet He Experienced Grace Through The Suffering That Filled Him With A Hope And Hunger For The Life To Come. This Profoundly Eloquent Memoir Gives Voice To The Deepest Questions Of The Human Condition. In The Midst Of Pain, We Can See Glimpses Of Eternity.
- <strong>part I: Affliction (month 1)</strong>
- 1. Learning To See: Affliction And Faith2. Struck: The Onset Of Affliction3. The Sacramental Echo: Diagnosis4. Trail Magic: Hospitalization And Adaptation5. The Distance: The Space Between The Sick And The Well6. The Letters: Putting A House In Order7. Scowling At The Angel: Surgery And Waking Up
- <strong>part Ii: Recovery (months 2–5)</strong>
- 8. Scar Tissue: Physical Healing And Resiliency9. Monster In The Dark: Depression10. Charlie And The Man In The Mask: The Sacred Work Of Rehabilitation11. A Tornado In A Trailer Park: Anger And Ego
- <strong>part Iii: Lament (months 6–22)</strong>
- 12. Seeing With Clearer Eyes: Recognizing The Need To Lament13. Barbara: Returning To The Work Of Burden Bearing14. A Song Of Lament: A Year Of Grappling With Suffering Before God
- <strong>part Iv: Doxology (months 23–24)</strong>
- 15. To Climb A Mountain: Finding A Way Forward16. The Bird And The Boy: A Doxology Of Praise
- Afterword: A Wife's Response To Her Husband's Afflictionacknowledgmentsnotes