Sustainable Children's Ministry: From Last-Minute Scrambling to Long-Term Solutions
:Are you a children's ministry leader on the edge of burnout? Do you find yourself working harder and harder to tame the chaos? Mark DeVries and Annette Safstrom know how you feel. Flash and fizz can be effective at attracting...
In Stock5 available
You May Also Like
:Are you a children's ministry leader on the edge of burnout? Do you find yourself working harder and harder to tame the chaos? Mark DeVries and Annette Safstrom know how you feel. Flash and fizz can be effective at attracting young families, but without sustainable systems beneath the unforgettable moments, the impact is almost always short-lived. In this practical resource, you'll learn how to recruit volunteers, partner with parents, navigate politics, and care for your own soul instead of frantically scrambling to do it all yourself. Sustainable Children's Ministry will help you build a ministry foundation that will still be standing long after you are gone.
Mark DeVries (M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary) is the founder of Youth Ministry Architects, a consulting team that assists churches in building sustainable youth ministries (www.ymarchitects.com). DeVries has served since 1986 as associate pastor for youth and their families at First Presbyterian Church in Nashville, Tennessee. He has trained youth workers on five continents and has taught courses or been a guest lecturer at a number of colleges and seminaries.
DeVries is the author of Family-Based Youth Ministry,True Love Waits, Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do About It and co-author of The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life/The Most Important Year in a Man's Life, and he has been a contributing writer for Josh McDowell's Youth Ministry Handbook, Starting Right and Reaching a Generation for Christ. In addition, his articles and reviews have been published in a variety of journals and magazines. He and his wife, Susan, have four grown children.
Annette Safstrom is a senior consultant, speaker, and trainer with Ministry Architects and has served in children's ministry for over thirty years, including as director of a rapidly growing children's ministry in Texas. She speaks at a variety of children's ministry events, including the Children's Pastors Conference and Group's KidMin Conference.After graduating from Bible college with a certification in children's ministry, Annette earned a bachelor's degree in psychology from Texas A&M University and a master's in research psychology from Southern Methodist University. She and her husband, Kevin, have two children.
- 1. From Chaos To Clarity: What’s So Different About Sustainable Children’s Ministry?
- 2. The Workhorse Syndrome: Moving Beyond A Do-it-yourself Ministry
- 3. Beyond Goldfish And Bubble Machines: A Different Way Of Doing Children’s Ministry
- 4. Measuring Up: Knowing What It Takes
- 5. Building Your Ministry With Simple Machines: The Essential Systems For A Sustainable Children’s Ministry
- 6. From Pearls To A Necklace: Putting The Pieces Together
- 7. Seeing What Others Can’t—yet: Clarifying Your Vision
- 8. The Delegation Dance: Building Your Ministry Partners
- 9. Beyond Rotation: Building Your Dream Team
- 10. Beyond The Victim: Swimming In The Deep Waters Of Church Politics
- 11. Children’s Ministry Is Family Ministry: A Recipe For Turning Parents Into Partners
- 12. More Than Planning: The Essential Systems Of Chaos Management
- 13. Your Ministry Marathon: Preparing Yourself To Go The Distance
- 14. Finding Your Bounce: The Inside Secret Of Sustainable Children’s Ministry
- Appendix A: Communication Plan
- Appendix B: Sample Goals And Benchmarks
- Appendix C: Sample Values Statements
- Appendix D: Core Competencies Samples
- Appendix E: Resources For Parents
- Appendix F: Preventative Maintenance Calendar
- Appendix G: Systems Checklist
- Appendix H: For Reflection And Discussion