Sustainable Youth Ministry
You're looking for a youth pastor. Again. ^^What goes wrong? Why do youth ministries crumble? And what is the cost to students, parents, volunteers and church staff? ^^Is a sustainable youth ministry possible, even after...
In Stock4 available
You May Also Like
You're looking for a youth pastor. Again.
^^What goes wrong?
Why do youth ministries crumble?
And what is the cost to students, parents, volunteers and church staff?
^^Is a sustainable youth ministry possible, even after a youth pastor leaves?
^^Youth ministry expert Mark DeVries knows the answer is yes, because he helps build sustainable youth ministries through his coaching service called Youth Ministry Architects. So take heart: No matter what state the youth ministry at your church is in - in need of a leader and volunteers, full of battles and stress, large or small in number - it can be built to survive and to last for the long haul.^^Based on his own experience and on his many conversations and interviews with churches in crisis, DeVries pinpoints problems that cause division and burnout and dispels strongly held myths. He then provides the practical tools and structures pastors and church leaders need to lay a strong foundation for your ministry so that it isn't built on a person or the latest, greatest student ministry trend.
^^His accessible guidance
^^^helps senior pastors and search committees create a realistic job description for a youth pastor ^provides tips for making wise hiring decisions ^equips youth pastors to build a strong volunteer team ^offers creative solutions to help youth pastors set and keep boundaries ^gives a road map for navigating church politics ^and more ^^Building a sustainable youth ministry is not easy, and it's not quick. But with commitment to the process, hard work and DeVries's guidance, you can put together a healthy youth ministry - one that fits your church and lasts for the long haul. Youth ministry can last. Here's how.
Is a sustainable youth ministry possible, even after a youth pastor leaves? Youth ministry expert Mark DeVries knows the answer is yes, because he helps build sustainable youth ministries through his coaching service called Youth Ministry Architects. This book will help you learn how to create your own sustainable youth ministry that will stand the test of time. Market/Audience Senior pastors Youth pastors Laypeople involved with youth ministry Parents Features and Benefits By the author of the influential book Family-Based Youth Ministry Author has a ministry called Youth Ministry Architects in which a team of coaches helps churches put the book's ideas into practice Appropriate for every church member or pastor who cares about youth ministry Program used
"What is going wrong? What would it take to build a ministry that withstands the revolving door of youth ministers?" "Based on his own experience as a youth minister and on his work with churches in crisis, Mark DeVries pinpoints problems that cause division and burnout. He then provides the practical tools and structures needed to lay a strong foundation for ministry - one that isn't built solely on a person."--BOOK JACKET.
Mark DeVries (M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary) is the founder of Youth Ministry Architects, a consulting team that assists churches in building sustainable youth ministries (www.ymarchitects.com). DeVries has served since 1986 as associate pastor for youth and their families at First Presbyterian Church in Nashville, Tennessee. He has trained youth workers on five continents and has taught courses or been a guest lecturer at a number of colleges and seminaries.
DeVries is the author of Family-Based Youth Ministry,True Love Waits, Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do About It and co-author of The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life/The Most Important Year in a Man's Life, and he has been a contributing writer for Josh McDowell's Youth Ministry Handbook, Starting Right and Reaching a Generation for Christ. In addition, his articles and reviews have been published in a variety of journals and magazines. He and his wife, Susan, have four grown children.
- Introduction: Roll Of The Dice: Exposing Today's Most Popular Youth Ministry Model
- 1. Cracking The Code: The Anatomy Of Stuckness In Youth Ministry
- 2. The Easy Button: The Crisis Of Chronic Underinvestment
- 3. Hoping, Wishing And Praying: Beyond The Frantic Search For The Youth Ministry Superstar
- 4. The Dance Floor: A Systems Approach To Youth Ministry
- 5. Building Right: The Structures Of Sustainabilty
- 6. Climate Change: The Work Of The Environmental Architect
- 7. Searching Right: A Primer For Youth Ministry Search Teams
- 8. Aligning The Heart: The Emotionally Healthy Youth Worker
- 9. Monkeys, Frogs And Balconies: Secrets Of Third-pig Youth Workers
- 10. Architecting The Constellation: From Camp Counselor To Sustainable Leader
- 11. The Magnet Effect: Making Friendship Contagious
- 12. Dancing With Alligators: Navigating The Turbulent Waters Of Church Politics
- 13. Rabbit Trails And Brick Walls: When All Our Brilliant Plans Don’t Work
- Epilogue: Seizing The Unfair Advantage
- Appendix A: Discussion Questions
- Appendix B: Sustainable Youth Ministry Builder's List
- Appendix C: The Compliance Checklist