Taking It to the Streets: Lessons From a Life of Urban Ministry
:There's an urgent need for Christian ministry in our cities-but we need a guide. Known around Oakland, California, as "OG Rev.," Reverend Harry Williams's calling is to the streets: to the hungry, homeless, addicted, incarcerated, and vulnerable. In Taking...
Available Now.5 Available
You may also like
:There's an urgent need for Christian ministry in our cities-but we need a guide. Known around Oakland, California, as "OG Rev.," Reverend Harry Williams's calling is to the streets: to the hungry, homeless, addicted, incarcerated, and vulnerable. In Taking It to the Streets, he invites us into his world, bringing us face-to-face with both the injustices that plague our cities and the gospel of compassion that offers hope to the downtrodden. Rev. Williams takes on racism, the plight of children in the inner city, gentrification, urban violence, the prosperity gospel, and more, all from the perspective of someone who understands these phenomena from the inside. Whether we ourselves are from the city or not, we need a deep understanding of its social, political, and spiritual realities if we're to minister effectively. Taking It to the Streets offers firsthand accounts of urban life alongside large-scale considerations of its systemic challenges, all in the context of the life-giving good news of Jesus. This is the introduction to urban ministry we need. Filled with both sober truths and the hope of Jesus, it will inspire and equip a new generation of ministers to our cities.
- 1. Step Foot In The Resistance
- 2. The Resistance Is Real: Welcome To My 'hood
- 3. Children Of The Streets: The High Price Of Apathy
- 4. Gentrification: What Happens When There's No Direction Home?
- 5. Crossing Cultures: Understanding The World Of Urban Ministry
- 6. Death In The Pot: The Story Of Racism In America
- 7. True Religion: The Black Church And The Resistance
- 8. Social Justice: Raise-your-fist Religion
- 9. The Rise Of The Prosperity Gospel: The Scriptural Interpretation That Kills
- 10. Rethinking Urban Ministry: The Reverend Adam Clayton Powell Jr.'s Road To Social Justice Ministry
- 11. Waging Peace: To Be Called God's Child
- 12. Stories From The Streets: Where Do We Belong?
- 13. Proximity: The Last Lesson