Teach Us to Want
Logos Bookstores' 2015 Best Book in Spirituality/Devotional 2015 Christianity Today Book of the Year Granted the Digital Book World QED Seal for quality in ebook design Honorable Mention, 2014 Best Book of the Year from Byron...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
Logos Bookstores' 2015 Best Book in Spirituality/Devotional
2015 Christianity Today Book of the Year
Granted the Digital Book World QED Seal for quality in ebook design
Honorable Mention, 2014 Best Book of the Year from Byron Borger, Hearts and Minds Bookstore
As Christians, we're squeamish about desire. Isn't wanting sinful and selfish? Aren't we supposed to find and follow God's will rather than insisting upon our own? The story of each person is a story of want-desires unmet, hopes dashed, passions pursued and ambitions fulfilled. Our wants cannot be ignored. But when desire is informed by Scripture and re-formed by our spiritual practices, it can root us more deeply in the fundamental belief that God is good and generous and invite us into active kingdom participation. Jen Pollock Michel guides us on a journey of understanding who we are when we want, and reintroduces us to a God who gives us the desires of our hearts. That same good God calls us into a new reality in which we seek first his kingdom and righteousness, and we discover our disordered desires burned away while our truest longings are happily fulfilled and purified. The disciples asked Jesus to "Teach us to pray." This book asks, "Teach us to want."
- Catalogue Code 409925
- Product Code 9780830896332
- ISBN 0830896333
- EAN 9780830896332
- Department General Books
- Category Christian Living
- Sub-Category General
- Publisher Intervarsity Press Usa
- Publication Date Jun 2014
- Sales Rank 63871
- DRM Free
- Printable No
- Size 0.94 MB (EPUB)
Jen Pollock Michel is a regular contributor for Christianity Today?s Her.meneutics and writes for Today in the Word, published by The Moody Bible Institute. Jen earned her BA in French from Wheaton College and her MA in literature from Northwestern University. She lives in Toronto, Canada, with her husband and five children. You can follow Jen on Twitter @jenpmichel or you can find her at jenpollockmichel.com.
- <ul> <li>logos Bookstores' 2015 Best Book In Spirituality/devotional</li> <li>2015 <em>christianity Today</em> Book Of The Year</li> <li>granted The Digital Book World Qed Seal For Quality In Ebook Design</li> <li>honorable Mention, 2014 Best Book Of The Year From Byron Borger, Hearts And Minds Bookstore</li> </ul> As Christians, We're Squeamish About Desire. Isn't Wanting Sinful And Selfish? Aren't We Supposed To Find And Follow God's Will Rather Than Insisting Upon Our Own? The Story Of Each Person Is A Story Of Want-desires Unmet, Hopes Dashed, Passions Pursued And Ambitions Fulfilled. Our Wants Cannot Be Ignored. But When Desire Is Informed By Scripture And Re-formed By Our Spiritual Practices, It Can Root Us More Deeply In The Fundamental Belief That God Is Good And Generous And Invite Us Into Active Kingdom Participation. Jen Pollock Michel Guides Us On A Journey Of Understanding Who We Are When We Want, And Reintroduces Us To A God Who Gives Us The Desires Of Our Hearts. That Same Good God Calls Us Into A New Reality In Which We Seek First His Kingdom And Righteousness, And We Discover Our Disordered Desires Burned Away While Our Truest Longings Are Happily Fulfilled And Purified. The Disciples Asked Jesus To "teach Us To Pray." This Book Asks, "teach Us To Want."
- 2. Aperture Of The Heart: Courage
- 3. Precipice Of Hope: Grace
- 4. Project Kingdom: Good News
- 5. Visions Of Sugarplums: Scripture
- 6. The Business Of Holy: Prayer
- 7. Bread And Butter: Petition
- 8. If The Shoe Fits: Confession
- 9. Be My Neighbor: Community
- 10. Ruby Slippers: Commitment