Tending Soul, Mind, and Body: The Art and Science of Spiritual Formation (Center For Pastor Theologians Series)
:Throughout his ministry, Jesus consistently demonstrated his concern and love for the whole person: soul, mind, and body. That task is carried forward today by pastors and church leaders, who are called to care for people in the midst...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship January 2020.
You may also like
:Throughout his ministry, Jesus consistently demonstrated his concern and love for the whole person: soul, mind, and body. That task is carried forward today by pastors and church leaders, who are called to care for people in the midst of individual circumstances as well as seismic cultural shifts. How might that calling be informed by recent developments in psychology? How should the church attend to matters of mental health? How might psychology and counseling aid us in our spiritual formation? Based on the 2018 Center for Pastor Theologians conference, this volume brings together reflections by pastors, theologians, and psychologists who explore the relationships among three fields of study-theological anthropology, spiritual formation, and modern psychology. The result is a vibrant whole-person theology that can aid the church today in its centuries-old call to care for the soul, mind, and body.
- Introduction: The Art And Science Of Spiritual Formation—gerald Hiestand And Todd Wilson
- <strong>part One: Biblical, Theological, And Historical Reflections</strong>
- 1. Socialization And The Sanctuary: The Arrangement Of 1 Corinthians As A Strategy For Spiritual Formation—daniel J. Brendsel
- 2. Beyond Imitation: The Image Of God As A Vision For Spiritual Formation—marc Cortez
- 3. The Holy Spirit And Positive Psychology In Spiritual Formation—siang-yang Tan
- 4. “that's The Spirit!” Or, What Exactly Does Spiritual Formation Form? Toward A Theological Formulation Of A Biblical Answer—kevin J. Vanhoozer
- 5. Jonathan Edwards On Sanctification—rachel Stahle
- 6. Spiritual Misformation: Dietrich Bonhoeffer On Human Sin—joel D. Lawrence
- 7. Drawing From The Well: Learning From African American Christian Formation—vincent Bacote
- <strong>part Two: Practical Wisdom</strong>
- 8. The Integrated Pastor: Toward An Embodied And Embedded Spiritual Formation—todd Wilson
- 9. Practice Resurrection, Live Like Jesus—cherith Fee Nordling
- 10. Friendship: The Lost Spiritual Discipline—pamela Baker Powell
- 11. Shepherding Survivors Of Sexual Abuse—andrew J. Schmutzer
- 12. Neuropharmacoformation: Christian Formation In An Age Of Stupefaction—william M. Struthers
- 13. Spiritual Formation As If Wisdom Mattered—jamin Goggin
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index