The Beautiful Community: Unity, Diversity, and the Church At Its Best
:The church is at its best when it pursues the biblical value of unity in diversity. Our world has been torn asunder by racial, ethnic, and ideological differences. It is seen in our politics, felt in our families, and...
In Stock5 available
You May Also Like
:The church is at its best when it pursues the biblical value of unity in diversity. Our world has been torn asunder by racial, ethnic, and ideological differences. It is seen in our politics, felt in our families, and ingrained in our theology. Sadly, the church has often reinforced these ethnic and racial divides. To cast off the ugliness of disunity and heal our fractured humanity, we must cultivate spiritual practices that help us pursue beautiful community. In The Beautiful Community, pastor and theologian Irwyn Ince boldly unpacks the reasons for our divisions while gently guiding us toward our true hope for wholeness and reconciliation. God reveals himself to us in his trinitarian life as the perfection of beauty, and essential to this beauty is his work as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The gospel imperative to pursue the beautiful community-unity in diversity across lines of difference-is rooted in reflecting the beautiful community of our triune God. This book calls us into and provides tools for that pursuit.
Timothy Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, which he started in 1989 with his wife, Kathy. For over twenty-five years he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000.
He is also Chairman of Redeemer City to City, which starts new churches in New York and other global cities, and publishes books and resources for faith in an urban culture. In ten years they helped to launch over 250 churches in 48 cities. More recently, Dr. Keller's books - including the New York Times bestselling The Reason for God, The Prodigal God, and Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God - have sold over 1 million copies and been translated into 15 languages.
Tim was born in 1950, raised in Pennsylvania, and educated at Bucknell University, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, and Westminster Theological Seminary. He previously served as the pastor of West Hopewell Presbyterian Church in Hopewell, Virginia, Associate Professor of Practical Theology at Westminster Theological Seminary, and Director of Mercy Ministries for the Presbyterian Church in America.
Tim and his wife Kathy have three adult sons.
- <strong>part 1: The Beautiful Creator</strong>
- 1. The Holy And Beautiful Habitation: Our Relational God
- 2. The Beauty Of The Lord: Our God Is Beautiful Community
- <strong>part 2: His Beautiful Image</strong>
- 3. The Perfection Of Beauty: Knowing Ourselves
- 4. A Crown Of Beauty In The Hand Of The Lord: Beautiful Community As God's Image
- <strong>part 3: Restoring Our Beautiful Identity</strong>
- 5. Your Beautiful Crown Has Come Down From Your Head: Ghettoization Of Humanity
- 6. I Will Beautify My Beautiful House: Identity And Formation
- 7. Put On Your Beautiful Garments: Culture And Community
- <strong>part 4: Cultivating Beautiful Community</strong>
- 8. How Beautiful Are The Feet: Gospel Message—devote To The Doctrine
- 9. The Beauty Of Holiness: Probe The Preferences And Count The Cost
- 10. Our Holy And Beautiful House: Toast To The Truth