The Eternal Generation of the Son
Should all Christians, especially evangelicals, hold on to the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son? What is lost if we don't? Theologian Kevin Giles defends the historically orthodox and ecumenical doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son...
Out of PrintUnavailable
You May Also Like
Should all Christians, especially evangelicals, hold on to the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son? What is lost if we don't? Theologian Kevin Giles defends the historically orthodox and ecumenical doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son of God. He argues on biblical, historical and theological bases that, given its fundamental meaning, this formulation is indispensable, irreplaceable and faithful to Christian revelation. The book will be especially helpful in the current discussion of this doctrine. It will also be of interest to students, pastors and laypersons who want to delve into the Christian understanding of the identity of the Son of God and serious study of trinitarian theology.
Kevin Giles (Th.D., Australian College of Theology) is vicar of St. Michael's Church (Anglican) in North Carlton, Australia. He has also served as a minister and consulting theologian for World Vision Australia. Giles has contributed numerous articles to scholarly journals, and to IVP's Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels and Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Development. He has written several books, including What on Earth Is the Church? (IVP), The Trinity and Subordinationism and Patterns of Ministry Among the First Christians (HarperCollins).
- Foreword By Robert Letham
- 1. Introduction
- 2. "doing"evangelical Theology
- 3. No Biblical Warrant?
- 4. The Eternal Generation Of The Son: From The Apologists To Athanasius
- 5. The Cappadocian Fathers And The Nicene Creed
- 6. The Eternal Generation Of The Son: Augustine And Aquinas
- 7. The Reformation And Post-reformation Tradition
- 8. Does The Eternal Generation Of The Son Imply Or Necessitate The Eternal Subordination Of
- The Son?
- 9. Are There Better Ways To Ground The Father-son Distinction Than The Eternal Begetting Of
- The Son?
- 10. The Eternal Generation Of The Son In Contemporary Theology
- 11. The Final Summing Up Of The Case In Defense
- Author Intdex
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index