The Glory of Preaching
In these pages you will find a vision of preaching that is both illuminating and inspiring. Drawing from biblical and theological resources as well as years in the pulpit, Darrell Johnson takes us far beyond the mere mechanics of delivering...
Available Now.1 Available
You may also like
In these pages you will find a vision of preaching that is both illuminating and inspiring. Drawing from biblical and theological resources as well as years in the pulpit, Darrell Johnson takes us far beyond the mere mechanics of delivering sermons. He dynamically unpacks the link between the human task of speaking to a congregation and the real, gracious action and presence of the living Christ in and through our proclamation.
^^Johnson assists preachers to profoundly engage the biblical text and then liberates them to make use of their own personality, gifts and abilities as they communicate that message.
^^This book is for any pastor or student who wants to cultivate a deeper pulpit approach, one that participates in the transforming mystery of God working through our less-than-perfect proclamation. Here is a solid foundation for preaching the good news as if God was living, Jesus was resurrected and the Holy Spirit was faithfully at work among us.
Darrell W. Johnson has served on the faculty of Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia since the fall of 2000, teaching preaching, pastoral theology and Bible. In addition to serving a number of Presbyterian churches in California, he ministered in Manila, Philippines, during the People Power Revolution. He also taught at Fuller Theological Seminary in the Doctor of Ministry program.
Since coming to Regent, he has written six books including: Experiencing the Trinity; Fifty-Seven Words That Change the World: A Journey Through the Lord's Prayer; The Glory of Preaching: Participating in the Divine Transformation of the World and Discipleship on the Edge: An Expository Journey Through the Book of Revelation.
- Prologue: Something Always Happens
- <strong>part 1:theoretical Foundations For Participating</strong>
- 1 Why Does It Happen: A Vision (ezekiel 37)
- 2 Does It Really Always Happen?: A Parable (matthew 13)
- 3 Where Does It Happen?: A Paradigm For Expository Preaching
- 4 How Does It Happen?: Verbs Of Participation
- <strong>part 2: Human Mechanics Of Participating</strong>
- 5 Moving From Text To Sermon: Inhabiting The Text
- 6 Moving Into The Sermon: Ordering For Orality
- 7 Walking The Sermon Into Every Life: Implications And Application
- 8 The Person Of The Preacher: Truth Through Personhood
- 9 The Life Of The Preacher: Living In
- <strong>part 3: Theoretical Foundations Again</strong>
- 10 Standing In The Mystery: The Space In Which We Preach
- Epilogue: A Sermon--the Main Thing: Included! (matthew 11:25-30)
- Author And Subject Index
- Scripture Index