The Gospel of St Thomas (New Testament Readings Series)
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
This volume offers the first full commentary on the Gospel of Thomas, a work which has previously been accessible only to theologians and scholars. Valantasis provides fresh translations of the Coptic and Greek text, with an illuminating commentary, examining the text line by line. He includes a general introduction outlining the debates of previous scholars and situating the Gospel in its historical and theological contexts.^The Gospel of Thomas provides an insight into a previously inaccessible text and presents Thomas' gospel as an integral part of the canon of Biblical writings, which can inform us further about the literature of the Judeo-Christian tradition and early Christianity.
Raised and immersed in the Greek Orthodox tradition, Richard Valantasis has been an Episcopal priest for 30 years. In addition to his activities as parish priest and spiritual director, he is Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins at Iliff School of Theology. He is the author of Spiritual Guides of the Third Century and The Gospel of Thomas, and editor of Religions in Late Antiquity in Practice and Asceticism (with Vincent Wimbush).
- Introduction: A Description Of The ""gospel Of Thomas""
- The Theology Of The ""gospel Of Thomas""
- The Date Of The ""gospel Of Thomas""
- The ""gospel Of Thomas"" And Asceticism
- My Perspective On The ""gospel Of Thomas""
- Symbols Used In The Text
- A Window On The ""gospel Of Thomas"" - The Greek Fragment Texts
- The Coptic Version Of The ""gospel Of Thomas"".