The Living World of the Old Testament (4th Edition)
This is a study of the Old Testament as the story of a people. The author describes the growth of Israel from its beginnings through to Moses, the reigns of David and Solomon and into the Hellenistic era. Aided by...
UnavailableOut of Print
You may also like
This is a study of the Old Testament as the story of a people. The author describes the growth of Israel from its beginnings through to Moses, the reigns of David and Solomon and into the Hellenistic era. Aided by maps, charts and photographs the book analyzes and interprets the familiar biblical narrative in the context of our modern knowledge of the ancient world. New features of this edition include a series of definitions of key terms, new illustrations and it also takes into account more recent archaeological discoveries.
This well-known book is a vivid and engrossing account of the life story of ancient Israel from the time of the Exodus from Egypt to the eve of the Christian era. It analyses and interprets the familiar Biblical narrative in the context of our modern knowledge of the ancient world and it adopts no denominational standpoint. Fully revised and updated to take account of the latest archaeological findings and most recent changes in biblical interpretation this book will remain a major work of scholarship.
Bernhard W. Anderson was Professor of Old Testament Theology at Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, New Jersey. A noted educator, author, and biblical scholar, Anderson is perhaps best known for his textbook, "Understanding the Old Testament", which set records in sales for a book in that field and is read in translation around the world.
- Introduction: The Old Testament As The Story Of A People. Part 1 The
- Creation Of A People: The Beginnings Of Israel
- Liberation From Bondage
- Covenant In The Wilderness
- The Promised Land
- The Formation Of An All-israelite Epic
- The Struggle Between Faith And Culture. Part 2 Israel Becomes Like The
- Nations: The Throne Of David
- Prophetic Troublers Of Israel
- Fallen Is The Virgin Israel
- Judah's Covenant With Death
- The Rediscovery Of Mosaic Torah
- The Doom Of The Nation. Part 3 The Covenant Community Is Renewed: By The
- Waters Of Babylon
- The Dawn Of A New Age
- A Kingdom Of Priests
- The Praises Of Israel
- The Beginning Of Wisdom
- The Unfulfilled Drama. Chronological Chart. Select Bibliography. Author
- Index. Subject Index.