The Matrix of Christian Ethics
In today's world, many Christians don't know how to live ethically, let alone know what ethics is. Christian ethics probes our deepest sensibilities as humans and how we seek the good for others as well as for ourselves as followers...
You May Also Like
In today's world, many Christians don't know how to live ethically, let alone know what ethics is. Christian ethics probes our deepest sensibilities as humans and how we seek the good for others as well as for ourselves as followers of Christ. This book begins to delve into this relevant and contemporary subject through methodological reflection on the commands, purposes, values, and virtues of Christian life in today's context. To address these factors, an integrative approach to ethics is proposed, borrowing from classical ethical models such as consequential ethics, principle ethics, virtue ethics, and value ethics. This is what the authors call a matrix of Christian ethics. This matrix will be played out in a variety of ways throughout the book, from the discussion of the postmodern situation of ethics and values to current proposals for the ongoing development of Christian ethics today. It concludes with some practically oriented guidelines to help the reader consider contemporary ethical questions and conflicts within a framework of biblical wisdom, in view of the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of followers of Christ.
Prof. Patrick Nullens (Dr.Theol., Evangelische Theologische Faculteit, Leuven) is Professor of Systematic Theology at the Evangelische Theologische Faculteit, Leuven. He is the author of Verlangen naar het goede. Bouwstenen voor een christelijke ethiek (Zoetermeer: Boekencentrum, 2006), and co-author with his colleague Ronald T. Michener of The Matrix of Christian Ethics: Integrating Philosophy and Theology in a Post-modern Context
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- In Today's World, Many Christians Don't Know How To Live Ethically, Let Alone Know What Ethics Is. Christian Ethics Probes Our Deepest Sensibilities As Humans And How We Seek The Good For Others As Well As For Ourselves As Followers Of Christ. This Book Begins To Delve Into This Relevant And Contemporary Subject Through Methodological Reflection On The Commands, Purposes, Values, And Virtues Of Christian Life In Today's Context. To Address These Factors, An Integrative Approach To Ethics Is Proposed, Borrowing From Classical Ethical Models Such As Consequential Ethics, Principle Ethics, Virtue Ethics, And Value Ethics. This Is What The Authors Call A Matrix Of Christian Ethics. This Matrix Will Be Played Out In A Variety Of Ways Throughout The Book, From The Discussion Of The Postmodern Situation Of Ethics And Values To Current Proposals For The Ongoing Development Of Christian Ethics Today. It Concludes With Some Practically Oriented Guidelines To Help The Reader Consider Contemporary Ethical Questions And Conflicts Within A Framework Of Biblical Wisdom, In View Of The Ongoing Work Of The Holy Spirit In The Lives Of Followers Of Christ.
- Chapter 1. Introduction 5
- Chapter 2. Moral Argumentation 47
- Chapter 3. Consequential Ethics 69
- Chapter 4. Principle Ethics 93
- Chapter 5. Character Ethics And The Virtues 117
- Chapter 6. Value Ethics And Personalism 131
- Chapter 7. The Triune God And The Good 149
- Chapter 8. The Ethical Human Being 173
- Chapter 9. The Use Of The Bible In Christian Ethic S 189
- Chapter 10. A Variegated Biblical Ethics 203
- Chapter 11. Facing Moral Problem S 225
- Bibliography 245
- Subject Index 253
- Scripture Index 263