The Mestizo Augustine: A Theologian Between Two Cultures
:Few thinkers have been as influential as Augustine of Hippo. His writings, such as Confessions and City of God , have left an indelible mark on Western Christianity. He has become so synonymous with Christianity in the West that we...
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
:Few thinkers have been as influential as Augustine of Hippo. His writings, such as Confessions and City of God, have left an indelible mark on Western Christianity. He has become so synonymous with Christianity in the West that we easily forget he was a man of two cultures: African and Greco-Roman. The mixture of African Christianity and Greco-Roman rhetoric and philosophy gave his theology and ministry a unique potency in the cultural ferment of the late Roman empire.Augustine experienced what Latino/a theology calls mestizaje, which means being of a mixed background. Cuban American historian and theologian Justo González looks at the life and legacy of Augustine from the perspective of his own Latino heritage and finds in the bishop of Hippo a remarkable resource for the church today. The mestizo Augustine can serve as a lens by which to see afresh not only the history of Christianity but also our own culturally diverse world.
- Introductiona Unique Theologianmestizaje And Theologyaugustine The Mestizo
- 1. A Tortuous Path To Faiththe Contexthis Familyhis Studiesmanichaeism
- 2. Conversion And Baptismmilanneoplatonismambroseinternal Strugglesthe Gardencassiciacumhis Baptismostia
- 3. From The Baptistery To The Pulpitreturn To Africaother Early Writingsmonastic Lifehippopastoral Tasks
- 4. The Shepherd And The Manichaeansmanichaeismaugustine's Writings Against The Manichaeansthe Manichaeans And Augustine's Thought
- 5. The Shepherd And The Donatiststhe Backgroundthe Origins Of Donatismthe Course Of Donatismaugustine's Theological Interventionthe Role Of Politicsthe Later History Of Donatismaugustine's Victory And Defeat
- 6. The Shepherd And The Pelagianspelagiuspelagianismaugustine Enters The Controversyaugustine's Responsebetween Two Culturesthe Controversy Continues
- 7. The Shepherd And The Pagansthe Nature And Strength Of Paganismthe Debate Before Augustine's Timethe Fall Of Romeaugustine's Response
- 8. Augustine As A Lens For Western Christianity