The New Testament in Antiquity, 2nd Edition
This completely revised and updated second edition of The New Testament in Antiquity skillfully develops how Jewish, Hellenistic, and Roman cultures formed the essential environment in which the New Testament authors wrote their books and letters. Understanding of the land,...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
This completely revised and updated second edition of The New Testament in Antiquity skillfully develops how Jewish, Hellenistic, and Roman cultures formed the essential environment in which the New Testament authors wrote their books and letters. Understanding of the land, history, and culture of the ancient world brings remarkable new insights into how we read the New Testament itself.
Throughout the book, numerous features provide windows into the first-century world. Nearly 500 full color photos, charts, maps, and drawings have been carefully selected. Additional features include sidebars that integrate the book's material with issues of interpretation, discussion questions, and bibliographies.
Gene Green (PhD University of Aberdeen) has been Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College since 1996. He spent thirteen years in Latin America (Dominican Republic and Costa Rica) before coming to Wheaton providing abundant opportunity to learn how to read another culture. His published works and research include 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Pillar Commentary Series; 1 y 2 Tesalonicenses Editorial Portavoz; 1 Pedro y 2 Pedro. Comentario Bblico Hispanoamericano; 2 Peter and Jude Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament; The New Testament in the World of Antiquity and The Theology of Peter (New Studies in Biblical Theology).
Gary M. Burge (Ph.D., King's College, Aberdeen University) has been Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College since 1992. He has a longstanding interest with the literature of John and Palestine (including Evangelical involvement with it).
His publications evidence this The New Testament in Antiquity; Whose Land? Whose Promise? What Christians are not being told about Israel and the Palestinians; Commentary on the Gospel of John (The NIV Application Commentary); Commentary on the Johannine Epistles. (The NIV Application Commentary), Interpreting the Gospel of John (Guides to New Testament Exegesis) and The Anointed Community. The Holy Spirit in the Johannine Tradition. Most recently he has launched a multivolume series Ancient Context, Ancient Faith with the first two volumes The Bible and the Land and Jesus, the Middle-Eastern Storyteller:
- <p>this Completely Revised And Updated Second Edition Of <em>the New Testament In Antiquity</em> Skillfully Develops How Jewish, Hellenistic, And Roman Cultures Formed The Essential Environment In Which The New Testament Authors Wrote Their Books And Letters. Understanding Of The Land, History, And Culture Of The Ancient World Brings Remarkable New Insights Into How We Read The New Testament Itself.</p> <p>throughout The Book, Numerous Features Provide Windows Into The First-century World. Nearly 500 Full Color Photos, Charts, Maps, And Drawings Have Been Carefully Selected. Additional Features Include Sidebars That Integrate The Book's Material With Issues Of Interpretation, Discussion Questions, And Bibliographies.</p>
- 1. Studying The New Testament Burge
- 2. The Historical Setting Of The New Testament Burge
- 3. The World Of Jesus In His Jewish Homeland Burge
- 4. The Mediterranean World Of The Apostle Paul Green
- 5. Sources For The Story Of Jesus Burge
- 6. The Story Of Jesusburge
- 7. The Teachings Of Jesus Burge
- 8. The Gospel According To Matthew Green *new
- 9. The Gospel According To Mark Burge
- 10. The Gospel According To Luke Green
- 11. The Gospel According To John Burge
- 12. The Acts Of The Apostles Green
- 13. Paul Of Tarsus: Life And Teachings Green
- 14. The Letter To The Galatians Burge *new
- 15. 1 And 2 Thessalonians Green
- 16. 1 Corinthiansgreen
- 17. 2 Corinthiansgreen *new
- 18. The Letter To The Romans Burge
- 19. Ephesians And Colossians Green *new
- 20. Philippians And Philemon Green
- 21. The Pastoral Letters Green *new
- 22. The Letter Of James Green *new
- 23. The Letter To The Hebrews Green *new
- 24. 1 And 2 Peter And Judegreen
- 25. The Letters Of Johnburge
- 26. The Revelation Of John Green *new
- 27. Preservation And Communication Of The New Testamentburge/green