The Parables of Jesus
1. Setting the Scene: Jesus' Parables2. Setting the Scene: Jesus' Revolution3. The Revolution Is Here!4. On the Way to the New World5. The Great Day of the Lord's Coming6. Good News for the Needy7. Bad News for the Establishment8. Revolutionary...
Available Now.2 Available
You may also like
1. Setting the Scene: Jesus' Parables2. Setting the Scene: Jesus' Revolution3. The Revolution Is Here!4. On the Way to the New World5. The Great Day of the Lord's Coming6. Good News for the Needy7. Bad News for the Establishment8. Revolutionary Neighbour Relations9. Living with the God of Revolution10. Call to DecisionAppendix 1: The Authenticity of the ParablesAppendix 2: The Interpretation of the ParablesAppendix 3: The Purpose of the Parables and the Interpretation of Mark 4:10-12Select Biography and a Note on Further ReadingIndex of ParablesIndex of Biblical ReferencesSubject and Name Index
Good news for the needy. Bad news for the power brokers. Jesus came into the world announcing a new order where Satan is overthrown and broken relationships are restored. Jesus' most vivid portraits of this new kingdom are found in the parables.David Wenham explores the splendor and subtleties of Jesus' world-changing message, offering a nontechnical but comprehensive look at dozens of Jesus' stories. Bringing them to life by explaining their first-century religious and social setting, Wenham never fails to illumine their significance for today.
David Wenham (PhD., Manchester University) is Vice-Principal of Trinity College, Bristol. He previously taught in India at Union Biblical Seminary, returning in 1979 to Tyndale House in Cambridge where he directed the Gospels Research Project, then as Dean and Vice- Principal of the Wycliffe Hall, Oxford.
His selected publications include Gospel Perspectives. (Continuum International Publishing Group, 1984), The Parables of Jesus. (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 1989), Paul: Follower of Jesus or Founder of Christianity?(Cambridge: Eerdmans, 1995.)Exploring the New Testament (2 Volumes) D. Wenham and S. Walton. London: SPCK: 2001.) Paul and Jesus: The True Story. (London: SPCK, 2002).
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- Editor's Preface
- Author's Preface
- 1. Setting The Scene: Jesus’ Parables
- 2. Setting The Scene: Jesus’ Revolution
- 3. The Revolution Is Here!
- 4. On The Way To The New World
- 5. The Great Day Of The Lord’s Coming
- 6. Good News For The Needy
- 7. Bad News For The Establishment
- 8. Revolutionary Neighbour Relations
- 9. Living With The God Of Revolution
- 10. Call To Decision
- Appendix 1: The Authenticity Of The Parables
- Appendix 2: The Interpretation Of The Parables
- Appendix 3: The Purpose Of The Parables And The Interpretation Of Mark 4:10—12
- Select Biography And A Note On Further Reading
- Index Of Parables
- Index Of Biblical References
- Subject And Name Index