The Possibility of Prayer
The world clamors for efficiency and productivity. But the life of prayer is neither efficient nor productive. Instead, as we learn in the psalms, prayer calls us to wait, to watch, to listen, to taste, and to see. These things...
You May Also Like
The world clamors for efficiency and productivity. But the life of prayer is neither efficient nor productive. Instead, as we learn in the psalms, prayer calls us to wait, to watch, to listen, to taste, and to see. These things are not productive by any modern measure-but they are transformative. As a pastor in Manhattan, John Starke knows the bustle and busyness of our society. But he also knows that prayer is not just for spiritual giants. Prayer, he writes, is for each of us-not because we are full of spiritual wisdom and maturity, but because we are empty. Here is an invitation to discover, via the church's ancient rhythms and with Starke's clear, practical guidance, the possibility of prayer. Here is a book about prayer that is really a book about the whole Christian life.
John Starke is the lead pastor at Apostles Church Uptown in New York City. He is the coeditor (with Bruce Ware) of One God in Three Persons. He lives in Manhattan with his wife and four children.
- The World Clamors For Efficiency And Productivity. But The Life Of Prayer Is Neither Efficient Nor Productive. Instead, As We Learn In The Psalms, Prayer Calls Us To Wait, To Watch, To Listen, To Taste, And To See. These Things Are Not Productive By Any Modern Measure-but They Are Transformative. As A Pastor In Manhattan, John Starke Knows The Bustle And Busyness Of Our Society. But He Also Knows That Prayer Is Not Just For Spiritual Giants. Prayer, He Writes, Is For Each Of Us-not Because We Are Full Of Spiritual Wisdom And Maturity, But Because We Are Empty. Here Is An Invitation To Discover, Via The Church's Ancient Rhythms And With Starke's Clear, Practical Guidance, The Possibility Of Prayer. Here Is A Book About Prayer That Is Really A Book About The Whole Christian Life.
- <strong>part 1: The Possibility Of Prayer</strong>
- 1. The Impossibility Of Prayer
- 2. The Places Of Prayer
- 3. The Invitation Of Prayer
- 4. Outgrowing The Reactionary Heart
- 5. Pain In Prayer
- 6. Waiting And Prayer
- <strong>part 2: The Practice Of Prayer</strong>
- 7. Communion
- 8. Meditation
- 9. Solitude
- 10. Fasting And Feasting
- 11. Sabbath
- 12. Corporate Worship