The Qur'an in Context
:For Westerners the Qur'an is a deeply foreign book. Christians who venture within this sacred scripture of Islam encounter a world where echoes of biblical figures and themes resound. But the Qur'an speaks in accents and forms that defy our...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship December 2020.
You may also like
:For Westerners the Qur'an is a deeply foreign book. Christians who venture within this sacred scripture of Islam encounter a world where echoes of biblical figures and themes resound. But the Qur'an speaks in accents and forms that defy our expectations. For it captures an oral recitation of an open-ended drama, one rooted in seventh-century Arabia. Its context of people, events and ideas strikes us not only as poetically allusive but as enigmatic. And yet the Qur'an and its contested interpretations scroll in shadowed text between the headlines of our daily news. In The Qur'an in Context Mark Anderson offers a gateway into the original world and worldview of the Qur'an. With keen attention to the Qur'an's character, reception and theology, he opens up a hermeneutical space for Christians and others to engage its fabric of religious claims. The Qur'an's theology, anthropology, soteriology, spirituality as well as its portrayal of Jesus are all carefully examined. Finally, the Qur'an's claim to be the Bible's sequel is probed and evaluated. Forthright in Christian conviction and yet sympathetically open to dialogue, The Qur'an in Context is a reliable guide for those who want to explore the holy book of Islam in its varied facets.
Anderson works with Youth With A Mission. He is the founder and international director of YWAM Campaigns, one of the largest evangelistic ministries in the world--conducting significant numbers of citywide evangelistic campaigns around the world each year. Anderson has also served as a pastor and church planter in several different nations. Drawing on his marketing background, he has a passion to develop new models to evangelize and disciple the diverse peoples of the world.
- :1. Approaching The Qur'an
- <strong>part I: Qur'anic Context </strong>
- 2. Muhammad And The Origins Of Islam 3. Coming To Terms With Muhammad's World 4. Reading The Qur'an In Its Muhammadan Context
- <strong>part Ii: Qur'anic Worldview </strong>
- 5. Divine Immanence And Transcendence6. Justice And Mercy In God7. Adam In Stereoscopic Vision 8. Measuring Adam's Fall9. Divine Reprieve 10. Sin And Salvation In A World Of Us Against Them11. Prophets, Scriptures, Revelation12. Qur'anic Spirituality's Devotional And Social Dimensions 13. Qur'anic Spirituality's Political Dimension
- <strong>part Iii: Qur'anic Jesus </strong>
- 14. Jesus' Origins And Person15. Jesus' Words And Works 16. Jesus' Death And Beyond 17. Jesus' Community And Scripture
- <strong>part Iv: Christian Response</strong>
- 18. An Arabic Qur'an For The Arab Peopl 19. Could The Qur'an Be The Bible's Sequel? 20. The Bible And Qur'an: So Close, Yet So Far