The Singer (25th Anniversary Edition)
Hundreds of thousands have thrilled to this extraordinary retelling of a life unmatched in human history. Through the story of the Singer, his Song and his battles with World Hater, Calvin Miller has created a world full of life and...
Out of PrintUnavailable
You May Also Like
Hundreds of thousands have thrilled to this extraordinary retelling of a life unmatched in human history. Through the story of the Singer, his Song and his battles with World Hater, Calvin Miller has created a world full of life and wonder. In this special edition the author offers a new introduction that tells how he came to write this beloved classic and how he as well as so many others have been changed by this book. Here is a book that will sweep you away with its powerful tale of incarnation and redemption.
The Singerquickly became a favorite of evangelists, pastors, artists, students, teachers and readers of all sorts when it was originally published in 1975. Retelling the story of Christ through an allegorical and poetic narrative of a Singer whose Song could not be silenced, Miller's work reinvigorated Christian literature and offered believers and seekers the world over a deeply personal encounter with the gospel.Now available in hardcover for the first time in many years, this edition features a new cover illustration by Jerry Tiritilli to complement the classic interior illustrations by Joe DeVelasco. Miller also includes a new preface in which he reveals how he came to writeThe Singerand how he, like so many other readers, has been transformed by its imaginative power."The Singeris one of a handful of contemporary Christian works that will still be read a century from now." Michael Duduit, editor ofPreaching"The Singeris one of those rare books that cannot have enough good said about it. It absolutely sings to us of the greatness and goodness of the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." Richard Foster, author ofCelebration of Discipline"The Singeris a classic." Leonard Sweet, author ofSoulTsunamiHere--again, or for the first time--is the opportunity to experience the good news as you are drawn to and immersed in this magnificent tale.
Calvin Miller is probably best known for The Singer trilogy, which has sold over one million copies worldwide. He has written more than forty other books and is currently a professor at Beeson Divinity School in Alabama, USA. During the 25 years that he served as a pastor in Nebraska, his church grew from ten members to more than 2,500.
- Preface To The 25th Anniversary Edition
- 1. For Most Who Live, Hell Is Never Knowing Who They Are
- 2. It Is Strange How Oftentimes The Air Speaks
- 3. Two Artists Met One Time Within A Little Wood
- 4. I Knew A Blind Man Whom A Surgeon Helped To See
- 5. Hate Sometimes Stands Quite Close To Love
- 6. If She Has Loved Him, A Man Will Carry Anything For His Mother--a Waterpot Or A World
- 7. Before The Song
- 8. It Is Always Much More Difficult To Sing When The Audience Has Turned Its Back
- 9. A Healthy Child Is Somehow Very Much Like God; A Hurting Child, His Son
- 10. The Word <em>crying</em> Does Not Appear In The Lexicon Of Heaven
- 11. Oftentimes Love Is So Poorly Packaged . . .
- 12. In Hell There Is No Music
- 13. No Person Ever Is So Helpless As The Man In Whom Joy And Misery Sleep Comfortably Together
- 14. To God Obscenity Is Not Uncovered Flesh; It Is Exposed Intention
- 15. Humanity Is Fickle
- 16. God Is An Old, Old Habit
- 17. A Finale Is Not Always The Best Song But It Is Always The Last
- 18. Vengeance/mercy
- 19. Institutions Have A Poor Safety Record
- 20. A Child Who Cries At The Coffin Of His Father . . .
- 21. Decision Is The Key To Desiny
- 22. When God Loses His Beloved . . .
- 23. What Would You Like To Be When You Grow Up, Little Girl?
- 24. Every Constellation Is But A Gathering Of Distant Suns