The State of the Evangelical Mind: Reflections on the Past, Prospects For the Future
These essays invite readers to a virtual "summit meeting" on the current state of the evangelical mind. The insights of national leaders in their fields will aid readers to reflect on the past contributions of evangelical institutions for the life...
Available Now.25+ Available
You may also like
These essays invite readers to a virtual "summit meeting" on the current state of the evangelical mind. The insights of national leaders in their fields will aid readers to reflect on the past contributions of evangelical institutions for the life of the mind as well as prospects for the future. Contributors include: Richard J. Mouw Mark A. Noll Jo Anne Lyon David C. Mahan and C. Donald Smedley Timothy Larsen Lauren Winner James K. A. Smith Mark Galli The State of the Evangelical Mind frames the resources needed for churches, universities, seminaries, and parachurch organizations to chart their course for the future, both separately and together, and provides readers an opportunity to participate in a timely conversation as they consider what institutional and individual role they might play. This is not a book to define or diagnose evangelicalism broadly, and there's no fear-mongering or demonizing here, but rather a call to attend to the evangelical mind and the role played by interlocking institutions in its intellectual formation and ongoing vitality. It will encourage--and challenge--those who want to be part of the solution in a time of need.
- :foreword By Richard J. Mouw
- Introduction: The State Of The Evangelical Mind—tales Of Prosperity And Peril (todd C. Ream, Jerry Pattengale, And Christopher J. Devers)
- 1. Reflections On The Past: Evangelical Intellectual Life (mark A. Noll)
- 2. Churches: The State Of The Evangelical Church (jo Anne Lyon)
- 3. Parachurch Organizations: University Ministry And The Evangelical Mind (david C. Mahan And C. Donald Smedley)
- 4. Colleges And Universities: John Henry Newman’s <em>the Idea Of A University</em> And Christian Colleges In The Twenty-first Century (timothy Larsen)
- 5. Seminaries: Contemplative Posture And Christ-adapted Eyes—teaching And Thinking In Christian Seminaries (lauren Winner)
- 6. Prospects For The Future: The Future Is Catholic—the Next Scandal For The Evangelical Mind (james K. A. Smith)
- Conclusion: The Ongoing Challenge Of The Evangelical Mind (mark Galli)