The Voice of Jesus: Discernment, Prayer & the Witness of the Spirit
A Personal Growth Finalist in the 2004 Word Guild Canadian Writing Awards "My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me." Jesus takes it for granted that you will hear his voice. But how do...
You May Also Like
A Personal Growth Finalist in the 2004 Word Guild Canadian Writing Awards
"My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me."Jesus takes it for granted that you will hear his voice. But how do you hear it?How do you separate it out from the cacophony of other voices you hear everyday, including those of your own desires? Is your experience of Jesus' voice something purely subjective, or is it something you can talk about with others and have them confirm?Building on the rich spiritual tradition that spans the diversity of history and theology from Ignatius Loyola to John Wesley to Jonathan Edwards, Gordon T. Smith helps open your ears and heart to the depths of the inner witness of the Spirit. By learning to attend to the Spirit, Smith urges, you will learn to hear and heed the voice of Jesus in everyday life.Written with warmth and wisdom, this book speaks to the mind and heart of every Christian who longs for a closer, more intimate walk with Jesus.
Gordon T. Smith (Ph.D., Loyola School of Theology, Ateneo de Manila University) grew up in Ecuador and is president of reSource (formerly Overseas Council Canada), which works with other reSource affiliates to support and enable excellence in theological education in the developing world. Formerly academic dean and associate professor of spiritual theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia.
He is author of a number of works in theology and the spiritual life including A Holy Meal; Beginning Well: Christian Conversion & Authentic Transformation; Courage and Calling; Listening to God in Times of Choice and The Voice of Jesus.
- <ul> <li>a Personal Growth Finalist In The 2004 Word Guild Canadian Writing Awards</li> </ul> <em>"my Sheep Hear My Voice. I Know Them, And They Follow Me."</em>jesus Takes It For Granted That You Will Hear His Voice. But How Do You Hear It?how Do You Separate It Out From The Cacophony Of Other Voices You Hear Everyday, Including Those Of Your Own Desires? Is Your Experience Of Jesus' Voice Something Purely Subjective, Or Is It Something You Can Talk About With Others And Have Them Confirm?building On The Rich Spiritual Tradition That Spans The Diversity Of History And Theology From Ignatius Loyola To John Wesley To Jonathan Edwards, Gordon T. Smith Helps Open Your Ears And Heart To The Depths Of The Inner Witness Of The Spirit. By Learning To Attend To The Spirit, Smith Urges, You Will Learn To Hear And Heed The Voice Of Jesus In Everyday Life.written With Warmth And Wisdom, This Book Speaks To The Mind And Heart Of Every Christian Who Longs For A Closer, More Intimate Walk With Jesus.
- 1. Jesus And The Spirit
- 2. Three Voices, One Tradition
- 3. With Heart And Mind
- 4. The Assurance Of God's Love
- 5. The Spirit Convicts Us Of Sin
- 6. The Spirit Illumines Our Minds
- 7. The Spirit Guides In Times Of Choice
- 8. The Character Of Our Prayers
- 9. The Call Of God: Vocational And Moral Discernment
- 10. Spiritual Direction, Pastoral Care And Friendship
- 11. Making Decisions Together: The Challenge Of Communal Discernment
- 12. Making Decisions Together: The Process Of Communal Discernment
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index