The Way is Made By Walking
Pilgrimage is a spiritual discipline not many consider. Aren't the destinations far? Don't they involve a lot of time and walking? Just a few years ago, Arthur Paul Boers wasn't thinking about pilgrimage either. But he began to sense a...
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
Pilgrimage is a spiritual discipline not many consider. Aren't the destinations far? Don't they involve a lot of time and walking? Just a few years ago, Arthur Paul Boers wasn't thinking about pilgrimage either. But he began to sense a deep call from God to walk the five-hundred-mile pilgrimage route known as Camino de Santiago, ending in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, at a cathedral that is said to hold the relics of the apostle James.
In these pages he opens to us his incredible story of renewed spirituality springing from an old, old path walked by millions before him. It's a story of learning to pray in new ways, embracing simplicity, forming community, living each day centered and focused, depending on God to provide. Joined by hundreds of others from all over the world, Boers points the way to deeper intimacy with God--a way made by walking in faith.
Arthur Paul Boers describes his month-long journey on the Camino de Santiago in Spain, a classic pilgrimage route that ends at the cathedral where St. James is buried. He relates what he learned on the Camino to life back home in a way that spiritually nurtures readers.
Arthur Paul Boers (D.Min., Northern Baptist Theological Seminary) is associate professor of pastoral theology at Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary in Elkhart, Indiana. He is an ordained minister in the Mennonite Church USA and a Benedictine oblate at St. Gregory's Abbey in Three Rivers, Michigan. His books include The Rhythm of God's Grace: Uncovering Morning and Evening Hours of Prayer and Never Call Them Jerks: Healthy Responses to Difficult Behavior. He is an editor of Take Our Moments and Our Days: An Anabaptist Prayer Book. His most recent publication is a book on pilgrimageThe Way is Made by Walking.
- Foreword By Eugene Peterson
- Map Of Camino
- 1. I Want To Be In That Number: Drawn To Pilgrimage
- 2. Seeking God's Homeland: Christian Roots Of Pilgrimage
- 3. Lord, Teach Us To Be Prayerful: Spirituality Lessons
- 4. Your Pack's Too Big: Simplify, Simplify, Simplify
- 5. The Road That Leads To Life: Challenges Of Faithful Pilgrimage
- 6. The Journey Is Long: Camino Confessions
- Photograph Section
- 7. Well That's The Camino: Hospitality And Solidarity
- 8. <em>no "ustedes" Por Favor:</em> The Rules Are Different Here
- 9. Secular Seekers: The Disconnect Of Pilgrims And Church
- 10. Focal Ways Of Life: Putting Pilgrimage Into Practice
- 11. Walking In Faith: Walking As Spiritual Practice
- 12. Here I Walk, I Can Do No Other: Keeping Faith With Our Feet
- Appendix 1. Recovering And Reclaiming Christian Pilgrimage
- Appendix 2. Planning A Christian Pilgrimage
- Appendix 3. Pilgrimage Destinations
- Appendix 4. Camino Pilgrimage Resources