Toward a Prophetic Youth Ministry
Youth ministries in an urban context are too often left to their own devices. The resources available to them are overwhelmingly conceived, tested and produced exclusively in the suburbs, and bring little to bear on the realities of urban youth...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 5 to 6 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
Youth ministries in an urban context are too often left to their own devices. The resources available to them are overwhelmingly conceived, tested and produced exclusively in the suburbs, and bring little to bear on the realities of urban youth culture. As a consequence, youth ministries in large cities have tended to settle onto one of three paths--a traditional paradigm that jealously guards the spiritual formation of its young people, a liberal paradigm that concentrates exclusively on personal growth, and an activist paradigm that galvanizes youth around the social concerns surrounding them. While each of these emphases is important, too often they are pursued to the neglect of the others, and the urban church suffers.
Fernando Arzola proposes a fourth way, a prophetic paradigm that integrates the three and cultivates young people who are spiritually rooted, emotionally mature and responsive to the needs of their community. In this pace-setting book he draws on various disciplines--from biology to sociology, from psychology to theology--to guide urban youth workers into an effective and transformational ministry to youth.
Fernando Arzola Jr. is deputy chair for the Department of Youth Ministry and Christian Education at Nyack College in New York City. He also serves on the board of the Association of Youth Ministry Educators (AYME), and is founder and executive director of the Urban Family Empowerment Center in the Bronx. He is the author of Towards a Prophetic Youth Ministry.
- Part One: Prophetic Models And Perspectives
- 1 Urban Youth Ministry Archetypes: Beginning The Discussion
- 2 Assumptions Of A Prophetic Youth Ministry
- 3 The Holistic Approach
- 4 Leading Youth: A Reflection-action Praxis
- 5 Urban Perspective Shifts: From The Garden Of Eden To The City Of God
- Part Two: Interdisciplinary Dimensions
- 6 Theory, Theology And Praxis
- 7 The Psychology Of Urban Youth
- 8 The Biology Of Urban Youth
- 9 The Sociology And Anthropology Of Urban Youth
- 10 Defining Radical: Radical Education As Prophetic Ministry
- Part Three: Urban Youth Workers
- 11 The Subway: Urban Youth Workers As Spiritual And Social Prophets