Uncommon Church: Community Transformation For the Common Good
:How can the people of God develop churches in ways that help and don't hurt poor neighborhoods? In urban ministry, Christians too often treat the poor as goodwill projects instead of people. Because of this mindset, many remain unchurched....
In Stock16 available
You May Also Like
:How can the people of God develop churches in ways that help and don't hurt poor neighborhoods? In urban ministry, Christians too often treat the poor as goodwill projects instead of people. Because of this mindset, many remain unchurched. Healthy, local, urban churches are needed because they combine personal empowerment and community transformation. Every poor neighborhood needs uncommon churches that will seek the common good of their communities. Alvin Sanders engages hard truths about these neighborhoods and provides a model for how to do ministry in difficult conditions. The local, urban church is the key to community transformation, as it plays three crucial roles of empowering, partnering, and reaching. Pastors and church planters interested in Christian community development will find here practical insights into the power of the local church, which is often underrated. Churches can serve their communities and improve the quality of life of every facet of the neighborhood.
Alvin Sanders is the executive director of reconciliation for the Evangelical Free Church of America and serves on the board of directors for the Christian Community Development Association (CCDA). He and his wife are the founding pastors of River of Life Church in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- <strong>part One: Uncommon Church</strong>
- 1. Advocacy Is Not Enough
- 2. What Would Jesus Do? Poverty Is A Condition, Not An Identity
- 3. Jesus Did, Not Jesus Would: Jesus And The Condition Of Poverty
- 4. The People Of God: God's Plan For A Broken World
- 5. Doing Healthy Church: Seven Habits Toward Spiritual Maturity
- <strong>part Two: Seeking The Common Good</strong>
- 6. Faith <em>and</em> Works:eliminating The Tension Between Evangelism And Justice
- 7. There Goes The Neighborhood: Understanding The Powers That Be
- 8. Championing The Community: Empowering Grassroots Leaders And Workers
- 9. Chasing Wild Dreams: Effective Urban Church Planting
- 10. Show Me A Hero