What Does It Mean to Be Welcoming?: Navigating Lgbt Questions in Your Church
: 16th Annual Outreach Magazine Resource of the Year - Social Issues/Justice Is your church wrestling with LGBT questions from membership to marriage? Travis Collins has been there. A pastor who has walked congregations through the complex issues...
Available Now.10+ Available
You may also like
16th Annual Outreach Magazine Resource of the Year - Social Issues/Justice
Is your church wrestling with LGBT questions from membership to marriage? Travis Collins has been there. A pastor who has walked congregations through the complex issues surrounding gay Christians, he knows firsthand the confusion and hurt that often follow. He has also seen churches have these conversations with grace and understanding. In this practical resource, readers will gain insight into relevant biblical passages and, while the author is working from a traditional perspective, he offers insights from interpreters on both sides of the debate. They will consider the implications of their convictions for ministry practice, relationships, church policy, and more. They will hear testimonies from gay friends and family members about their experiences in the church. Collins calls readers to both grace and truth, with humility. What Does It Mean to Be Welcoming? considers how we might welcome everyone into the church while calling for all to be transformed.
For more than 25 years, Travis Collins has purposefully helped people around the world discern and live God?'s call for their lives. Experienced as both a pastor and a missionary in Venezuela and Nigeria, Travis has written extensively for church leadership, preaching, and missions journals. He earned his bachelor of arts degree from Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, and his master of divinity and doctor of philosophy degrees from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KentuckyTravis served a two-year term in Venezuela through the Missionary Journeyman Program and spent
- :“welcoming?” An Introduction
- <strong>part One: The Complexity</strong>
- 1. Meanings, Motives, Regrets, And Hopes
- 2. A Difficult, Knotty, Potentially Thorny Conversation
- When Your Child Is Gay
- 3. The Terrifying Beauty Of A Diverse Church Or Denomination
- <strong>part Two: The Topic</strong>
- 4. The Affirming Position
- Testimonial: From A Lesbian Christian
- 5. The Traditional Position
- Testimonial: From A Single, Gay Christian
- 6. What Does The Bible Say?
- <strong>part Three: The Way Forward</strong>
- 7. What Should A Same-sex Attracted Christian Do?
- 8. We Can’t Just Sing Kumbaya Forever
- 9. Welcoming But Not Affirming And Mutually Transforming
- Testimonial: Called To Stay
- Testimonial: Called To Leave
- 10. What Can We Do?
- Appendix A: A Process
- Appendix B: A Statement On Sexuality
- Discussion Guide
- For Further Reading