What is Jesus Doing?
Jesus is present here and now, Christians have always affirmed. But how are we to understand his present activity in a challenging, post-Christian context? In what ways is he at work in our congregational worship, pastoral care, preaching-and even our...
You May Also Like
Jesus is present here and now, Christians have always affirmed. But how are we to understand his present activity in a challenging, post-Christian context? In what ways is he at work in our congregational worship, pastoral care, preaching-and even our board meetings? At a time when many feel uncertain about the future of the church, What Is Jesus Doing? brings together leading thinkers in pastoral theology, homiletics, liturgical theology, and missiology in a compelling resource for pastors and theologians. Emphasizing the reality of Jesus both as the resurrected, ascended Christ and as present and active today, the contributors consider how to recognize the divine presence and join in what God is already doing in all areas of church ministry. Contributors include:
Dwight J. Zscheile
Scott J. Hagley
Anthony B. Robinson
John D. Witvliet
Angela Dienhart Hancock
Trygve D. Johnson
With deep theological reflection, personal stories, and practical suggestions, this interdisciplinary conversation invites leaders to remember that the church is first of all God's project, not ours-and that this truth should fill us with hope.
- Jesus Is Present Here And Now, Christians Have Always Affirmed. But How Are We To Understand His Present Activity In A Challenging, Post-christian Context? In What Ways Is He At Work In Our Congregational Worship, Pastoral Care, Preaching-and Even Our Board Meetings? At A Time When Many Feel Uncertain About The Future Of The Church, What Is Jesus Doing? Brings Together Leading Thinkers In Pastoral Theology, Homiletics, Liturgical Theology, And Missiology In A Compelling Resource For Pastors And Theologians. Emphasizing The Reality Of Jesus Both As The Resurrected, Ascended Christ And As Present And Active Today, The Contributors Consider How To Recognize The Divine Presence And Join In What God Is Already Doing In All Areas Of Church Ministry. Contributors Include: <ul> <li>david Fergusson</li> <li>dwight J. Zscheile</li> <li>scott J. Hagley</li> <li>craig Barnes</li> <li>roger Owens</li> <li>anthony B. Robinson</li> <li>will Willimon</li> <li>andrew Root</li> <li>john D. Witvliet</li> <li>nicholas Wolterstorff</li> <li>angela Dienhart Hancock</li> <li>trygve D. Johnson</li> </ul> With Deep Theological Reflection, Personal Stories, And Practical Suggestions, This Interdisciplinary Conversation Invites Leaders To Remember That The Church Is First Of All God's Project, Not Ours-and That This Truth Should Fill Us With Hope.
- 1. What Is Jesus Doing? Christological Thoughts For An Anxious Church And Tired Pastors (edwin Chr. Van Driel)
- <strong>systematic Theology</strong>
- 2. He Ascended Into Heaven: The Ascension And Agency Of Christ In The Theology Of T. F. Torrance (david Fergusson)
- 3. Rethinking Church In A Post-christian Age (edwin Chr. Van Driel)
- <strong>missional Theology</strong>
- 4. Cultivating The Spirit’s Leadership In Congregational Life (dwight J. Zscheile)
- 5. A Present Witness: Incarnation, Participation, And The Spirit Of God (scott J. Hagley)
- <strong>pastoral Theology And Pastoral Care</strong>
- 6. The Mission Of God In Pastoral Care (m. Craig Barnes)
- 7. Shaping A Pastoral Spirituality: Learning From The Spiritual Vision Of Quaker Thomas R. Kelly (l. Roger Owens)
- 8. Baptizing The Ordinary: Divine Agency And Church Administration (anthony B. Robinson)
- 9. God’s Agency In Ecclesial Structures: A Time Of Pruning (will Willimon)
- 10. Ministry And The <em>concursus Dei</em> (andrew Root)
- <strong>liturgics And Homiletics</strong>
- 11. The Mysterious Mingling Of Divine And Human Agency In Liturgical Participation: Pedagogical Reflections (john D. Witvliet)
- 12. Preaching The Word Of God (nicholas Wolterstorff)
- 13. The Prophetic Agency Of Jesus Christ And The Task Of Preaching (angela Dienhart Hancock)
- 14. Preaching In Context (trygve D. Johnson)
- Scripture Index