When Life Goes Dark
Depression strikes millions, across all ages and demographic groups. Approximately one in eight will have a severe depressive episode at some point in their life. Women experience depression twice as often as men. And over fifty percent of people with...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives. eBook is Available.0 Available. Expected to ship in 4 to 5 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
Depression strikes millions, across all ages and demographic groups. Approximately one in eight will have a severe depressive episode at some point in their life. Women experience depression twice as often as men. And over fifty percent of people with serious depression do not get adequate help. What can be done? Psychiatrist and theologian Richard Winter explores the complex medical and psychological issues surrounding depression. He sorts through recent scientific research on its biochemical and genetic causes and examines social and cultural factors. Winter also dispels common Christian misunderstandings of depression and looks at how biblical characters experienced severe despair. Throughout he offers ways to help the suffering. Even in the shadow of the valley of death, there is hope for healing and deliverance. This book is a helpful guide for those who find themselves, their loved ones or those they counsel vulnerable to depression. Find here a framework both for understanding depression and for rediscovering hope.
Richard Winter, a psychiatrist, is professor of practical theology at Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri. His books include The Roots of Sorrow: Reflections on Depression and Hope, Choose Life: A Christian Perspective on Abortion and Embryo Experimentation, Still Bored in a Culture of Entertainment: Rediscovering Passion and Wonder and Perfecting Ourselves to Death: The Pursuit of Excellence and the Perils of Perfectionism.
- <strong>part One: The Roots Of Sorrow: Nature's Effects And Nuture's Choices</strong>
- 1. Falling Into Darkness: The Experience Of Depression
- 2. Rising Into Light: Bipolar Swings, Mania And Happiness
- 3. A Mind Diseased: Genes, Chemicals And Other Mysteries
- 4. Some Rooted Sorrows: Childhood, Thought Patterns And Relationships
- 5. Loss, Sorrow And Grief: Inevitable Pain In A Broken World
- 6. Suicide: The Final Solution?
- <strong>part Two: Coping With The Dark And Moving Toward The Light</strong>
- 7. Breaking Points And Suicidal Saints
- 8. Coping With Anxiety, Worry And Fear
- 9. Anger And The Struggle To Forgive
- 10. The Tangled Web Of Guilt And Shame
- 11. Reducing Vulnerability And Moving Toward Healing
- 12. Hope And Light In The Darkness
- Appendix: Are Darker Forces At Work In Depression? On Spiritual Warfare
- Name Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index