When Narcissism Comes to Church
Why does narcissism seem to thrive in our churches? We've seen the news stories and heard the rumors. Maybe we ourselves have been hurt by a narcissistic church leader. It's easy to throw the term around and diagnose others from...
You May Also Like
Why does narcissism seem to thrive in our churches? We've seen the news stories and heard the rumors. Maybe we ourselves have been hurt by a narcissistic church leader. It's easy to throw the term around and diagnose others from afar. But what is narcissism, really? And how does it infiltrate the church? Chuck DeGroat has been counseling pastors with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, as well as those wounded by narcissistic leaders and systems, for over twenty years. He knows firsthand the devastation narcissism leaves in its wake and how insidious and painful it is. In When Narcissism Comes to Church, DeGroat takes a close look at narcissism, not only in ministry leaders but also in church systems. He offers compassion and hope for those affected by its destructive power and imparts wise counsel for churches looking to heal from its systemic effects. DeGroat also offers hope for narcissists themselves-not by any shortcut, but by the long, slow road of genuine recovery, possible only through repentance and trust in the humble gospel of Jesus.
Chuck DeGroat is associate professor of pastoral care and counseling at Western Theological Seminary, Holland, Michigan. He is also the author ofLeaving Egypt: Finding God in the Wilderness Places
- Why Does Narcissism Seem To Thrive In Our Churches? We've Seen The News Stories And Heard The Rumors. Maybe We Ourselves Have Been Hurt By A Narcissistic Church Leader. It's Easy To Throw The Term Around And Diagnose Others From Afar. But What Is Narcissism, Really? And How Does It Infiltrate The Church? Chuck Degroat Has Been Counseling Pastors With Narcissistic Personality Disorder, As Well As Those Wounded By Narcissistic Leaders And Systems, For Over Twenty Years. He Knows Firsthand The Devastation Narcissism Leaves In Its Wake And How Insidious And Painful It Is. In When Narcissism Comes To Church, Degroat Takes A Close Look At Narcissism, Not Only In Ministry Leaders But Also In Church Systems. He Offers Compassion And Hope For Those Affected By Its Destructive Power And Imparts Wise Counsel For Churches Looking To Heal From Its Systemic Effects. Degroat Also Offers Hope For Narcissists Themselves-not By Any Shortcut, But By The Long, Slow Road Of Genuine Recovery, Possible Only Through Repentance And Trust In The Humble Gospel Of Jesus.
- 1. When Narcissism Comes To Church
- 2. Understanding Narcissism
- 3. The Nine Faces Of Narcissism
- 4. Characteristics Of The Narcissistic Pastor
- 5. The Inner Life Of A Narcissistic Pastor
- 6. Understanding Narcissistic Systems
- 7. The Gaslight Is On: Spiritual And Emotional Abuse
- 8. Healing Ourselves, Healing The Church
- 9. Transformation For Narcissists (is Possible)
- Epilogue: He Humbled Himself . . .
- Appendix: Engaging The Nine Faces Of Narcissism—strategies For Therapists, Pastors, And Friends Who Care