Why Business Matters to God
Jeff Van Duzer grew up thinking business was the source of much damage and evil in the world, the work of greedy capitalists polluting the environment. Thirty years later he was dean of a business school.In the course of that...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
Jeff Van Duzer grew up thinking business was the source of much damage and evil in the world, the work of greedy capitalists polluting the environment. Thirty years later he was dean of a business school.In the course of that remarkable transformation, Van Duzer found cause for both hope and concern. He discovered many business people achieving a great deal of good for society as well as a lot of illegal and unethical behavior.Along the way he found some who thought that merely being honest and kind was what made business Christian. Others said they'd never ask pastors for business advice because they had no interest or experience in their work. After all, wasn't "full-time Christian service" what the church was all about?This book explores the nature and meaning of doing business and finds it calls for much more than most think. Van Duzer presents a profoundly Christian approach that integrates biblical studies with the disciplines of business and economics. Looking beyond the place of ethical principles and the character of the individual, Van Duzer displays a vision of business that contributes to the very purposes of God.
Since August 2001, Jeff Van Duzer (J.D., Yale Law School) has served as dean of the School of Business and Economics at Seattle Pacific University. He also has an appointment as professor of business law and ethics in the School.
For the twenty years prior to his full-time association with SPU, Van Duzer practiced law in Seattle with an emphasis on finance and natural resources. During that time he supplemented his practice with service as adjunct faculty at SPU and studies at Fuller Theological Seminary. He writes and speaks frequently in both church and professional settings, and is the author of Why Business Matters to God: (And What Still Needs to Be Fixed)
- Jeff Van Duzer Grew Up Thinking Business Was The Source Of Much Damage And Evil In The World, The Work Of Greedy Capitalists Polluting The Environment. Thirty Years Later He Was Dean Of A Business School.in The Course Of That Remarkable Transformation, Van Duzer Found Cause For Both Hope And Concern. He Discovered Many Business People Achieving A Great Deal Of Good For Society As Well As A Lot Of Illegal And Unethical Behavior.along The Way He Found Some Who Thought That Merely Being Honest And Kind Was What Made Business Christian. Others Said They'd Never Ask Pastors For Business Advice Because They Had No Interest Or Experience In Their Work. After All, Wasn't "full-time Christian Service" What The Church Was All About?this Book Explores The Nature And Meaning Of Doing Business And Finds It Calls For Much More Than Most Think. Van Duzer Presents A Profoundly Christian Approach That Integrates Biblical Studies With The Disciplines Of Business And Economics. Looking Beyond The Place Of Ethical Principles And The Character Of The Individual, Van Duzer Displays A Vision Of Business That Contributes To The Very Purposes Of God.
- 1 In The Beginning
- 2 Broken
- 3 In The End
- 4 Putting It Back Together
- 5 Postures Of Engagement (a First Excursus)
- 6 A Thought About Institutions (a Second Excursus)
- 7 How Then Should We Do Business?
- 8 Making It Real: A Few Final Questions
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index