:How are Christians viewed in the broader culture? We blush at the possibilities. Brainwashed fanatics? Out-of-touch dogmatists? Buffoons?The task of bearing faithful witness to Jesus is complicated by persistent-and not altogether baseless-cultural stereotypes. In our post-Christian society, thoughtful Christians...
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
:How are Christians viewed in the broader culture?We blush at the possibilities. Brainwashed fanatics? Out-of-touch dogmatists? Buffoons?The task of bearing faithful witness to Jesus is complicated by persistent-and not altogether baseless-cultural stereotypes. In our post-Christian society, thoughtful Christians are considering again how to engage the dominant culture as a minority, a counterpublic, amid varying perceptions and misperceptions.In this timely book, Timothy Muehlhoff and Rick Langer ask what our interactions with the dominant cultural ethos should look like. How might we be persuasive and civil at the same time? How should we respond to those who ridicule and caricature us? How can we challenge the beliefs of other communities with love and respect?Muehlhoff and Langer present a model for cultural engagement that integrates communication theory, theology, and Scripture. Penetrating, wise, and relentlessly practical, it includes test cases and examples from history, such as William Wilberforce and Harriet Beecher Stowe.Now more than ever, Christians need what Winsome Persuasion offers: a compelling vision of public engagement that is both shrewd and gracious.
Tim Muehlhoff (Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) has served on the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ since 1986. He is currently an associate professor of communication at Biola University in La Mirada, California, where he teaches classes in interpersonal communication, rhetoric and gender.
Tim has written about God, communication and faith in diverse publications such as the Journal of Religion and Communication, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Mars Hill Review and Discipleship Journal.
He has co-authored The God Conversation: Using Stories and Illustrations to Explain Your Faith with J. P. Moreland -Tim Muehlhoff says that often the best way to win over others is with a good story. Stories have the ability to get behind our preconceptions and defences, and most recently he has co-authored Authentic Communication: Christian Speech Engaging Culture (Christian Worldview Integration Series) with Todd V. Lewis and Marriage Forecasting:Changing the Climate of Your Relationship One Conversation at a Time.
Richard Langer is the author of the bestselling "The Bread Machine Bakery Book". He is a former gardening columnist for "The New York Times", where his writings on food still appear frequently.
- <strong>part I: Laying A Theoretical Foundation</strong>
- 1. What Is A Counterpublic? 2. What Is A Christian Counterpublic Historical Sketch 1: St. Patrick 3. Argument Culture 4. Credibility Of A Counterpublic Historical Sketch 2: Jean Vanier/l'arche
- <strong>part Ii: Engaging Others</strong>
- 5. Crafting Your Message 6. Delivering Your Message Historical Sketch 3: Harriet Beecher Stowe 7. Forming Loose Connections Historical Sketch 4: Wilberforce
- <strong>part Iii: Pressing Questions For Christian Counterpublics</strong>
- 8. How Should We Respond To Supreme Court Decision On Same-sex Marriage? (muehlhoff)9. How Should We Respond To Supreme Court Decision On Same-sex Marriage? (langer) 10. Are You Saying . . . ?