Worship and the World to Come: Exploring Christian Hope in Contemporary Worship
:Christians sing because we are people of hope. Yet our hope is unlike other kinds of hope. We are not optimists; nor are we escapists. Christian hope is uniquely shaped by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead...
In Stock9 available
You May Also Like
:Christians sing because we are people of hope. Yet our hope is unlike other kinds of hope. We are not optimists; nor are we escapists. Christian hope is uniquely shaped by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and by the promise of our own future resurrection. How is that hope both expressed and experienced in contemporary worship? In this volume in the Dynamics of Christian Worship series, pastor, theologian, and songwriter Glenn Packiam explores what Christians sing about when they sing about hope and what kind of hope they experience when they worship together. Through his analysis and reflection, we find that Christian worship is crucial to both the proclamation and the formation of Christian hope.
GLENN PACKIAM is an Associate Senior Pastor at New Life Church, a multi-congregational church in Colorado Springs. He also serves as the Lead Pastor of New Life Downtown, a thriving New Life congregation in downtown Colorado Springs where millennials and empty nesters, seekers and seasoned believers, gather to worship in a Christ-centered, gospel-shaped way, inspired by the ancient practices of the Church and full of the life of the Spirit. He has completed a research doctorate in theology from Durham University in the UK. Glenn's life stands at the intersection of several spheres: an immigrant from Malaysia educated in America and married to an Iowa farm girl, Packiam brings a global perspective to current issues; a well-known worship leader and songwriter before becoming a teaching pastor, he blends "heart" and "head" in an approach to faith; an ordained Anglican priest serving in a non-denominational church, he treasures practices that are both ancient and modern.
- <strong>part 1: Setting The Stage</strong>
- 1. What Is Practical Theology?
- 2. Contemporary Paradigms For Congregational Worship
- <strong>part 2: Hope And Eschatology</strong>
- 3. What Is Hope? Exploring Various Models Of Hope
- 4. What Is Christian Hope? Early Visions Of Eschatology
- 5. What Is Christian Hope? Eschatology In Contemporary Theology
- <strong>part 3: Evangelicals, Worship, And Hope</strong>
- 6. Hope Espoused: Popular Evangelical Eschatology
- 7. Hope Encoded: Examining Contemporary Worship Songs
- 8. Hope Experienced: Exploring Contemporary Worship Services
- <strong>part 4: The Spirit And The Church</strong>
- 9. The Spirit Of Hope
- 10. Carriers Of Hope
- Appendix: Field Research Survey
- Scripture Index