Worshiping With the Church Fathers
Christopher Hall invites us to accompany the fathers as they enter the sanctuary for worship and the chapel for prayer. He also takes us to the wilderness, where we learn from the early monastics as they draw close to God...
You May Also Like
Christopher Hall invites us to accompany the fathers as they enter the sanctuary for worship and the chapel for prayer. He also takes us to the wilderness, where we learn from the early monastics as they draw close to God in their solitary discipline. The focus of this book is not liturgy but more broadly worship in its corporate and individual dimensions. We enter into the patristic understanding of baptism and the Eucharist. And we come under the instruction and discipline of great spiritual teachers of prayer. In two previous books, Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers and Learning Theology with the Church Fathers, Christopher Hall has ushered us alongside the church fathers as they study the Scriptures and plumb the depths of theology. In this survey of the spiritual life of worship he informs and challenges Christians in faithful living today. Hall weaves his own experiences into his observations of the fathers' practices and teachings and so helps us close the gap of the centuries. Readers will enjoy a rich and rare schooling in developing their spiritual life.
Christopher A. Hall (Ph.D., Drew University) is Chancellor and Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies at Eastern University. His publications include Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers (InterVarsity Press, 1998); Learning Theology with the Church Fathers (InterVarsity Press, 2002); The Trinity (Eerdmans, 2002); Does God Have A Future (Baker, 2003), and is the editor of Ancient & Postmodern Christianity: Paleo-Orthodoxy in the 21st Century: Essays in Honor of Thomas C. Oden with Kenneth Tanner and the Ancient Christian Commentary Series (InterVarsity Press) to which he has contributed the award winning volume on Mark.
Most recently he has authored Worshiping with the Church Fathers (InterVarsity Press) and edited Homilies on Numbers (InterVarsity Press)
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- Christopher Hall Invites Us To Accompany The Fathers As They Enter The Sanctuary For Worship And The Chapel For Prayer. He Also Takes Us To The Wilderness, Where We Learn From The Early Monastics As They Draw Close To God In Their Solitary Discipline. The Focus Of This Book Is Not Liturgy But More Broadly Worship In Its Corporate And Individual Dimensions. We Enter Into The Patristic Understanding Of Baptism And The Eucharist. And We Come Under The Instruction And Discipline Of Great Spiritual Teachers Of Prayer. In Two Previous Books, <em>reading Scripture With The Church Fathers</em> And <em>learning Theology With The Church Fathers,</em> Christopher Hall Has Ushered Us Alongside The Church Fathers As They Study The Scriptures And Plumb The Depths Of Theology. In This Survey Of The Spiritual Life Of Worship He Informs And Challenges Christians In Faithful Living Today. Hall Weaves His Own Experiences Into His Observations Of The Fathers' Practices And Teachings And So Helps Us Close The Gap Of The Centuries. Readers Will Enjoy A Rich And Rare Schooling In Developing Their Spiritual Life.
- <strong>i. Sacraments</strong>
- 1. Baptism: Entering The Worshiping Community
- 2. Eucharist: Feasting With The Worshiping Community
- <strong>ii. Prayer</strong>
- 3. The Basics Of Prayer
- 4. The Challenge Of Unceasing Prayer
- 5. Further Coaching On Prayer
- 6. The Lord's Prayer
- <strong>iii. Discipline</strong>
- 7. The Transforming Call To The Desert
- 8. A Space To Draw Close To God
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index