:Jesus is speaking to us here and now.
Lectio divina is a practice of Scripture reading that treats the Bible not only as a text to be examined, but also as the living Word of God spoken anew to us
. Experienced Bible teacher Jan Johnson gives us forty Scripture meditations, organized topically, giving us the tools we need to practice lectio divina on our own. Each meditation can be used both individually and in group settings, and includes
Meeting God in Scripture
- an introductory space of quiet along with an optional preparatory exercise;
- the full text of a passage from Scripture with explanations of unusual or important words, and with cultural and historical background as needed;
- cues to help us enter the text;
- space to contemplate the passage, respond to God in prayer and rest in his presence; and
- an exercise to "try on" one of the main ideas of the passage in our daily lives.
moves us beyond merely understanding what the text meant in its original context to a direct spiritual encounter with Christ.
You May Also Be Interested In
About "Meeting God in Scripture"
Meet the Author
Jan Johnson, a spiritual director and a frequent speaker at retreats and conferences, is based near Los Angeles, California. She is the author of numerous books and Bible studies, including Enjoying the Presence of God, Growing Compassionate Kids and When the Soul Listens. She is also co-author (with Dallas Willard) of Dallas Willard's Study Guide to the Divine Conspiracy and Renovation of the Heart in Daily Practice. Her most recent books are Invitation to the Jesus Life and Spiritual Disciplines Companion.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
Table Of Contents
- :introductionwhy Meditate On Scripture?
- part I: What Does God Think Of Me?
- 1. Knowing God As Love (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)2. Sought After, No Matter What (luke 15:1-7)3. Knowing I Am Loved (isaiah 43:1-7)4. God's Compassion For The Rebellious (luke 15:11-24)5. God's Compassion For The Outwardly Compliant (luke 15:25-32)meditation Is Different From Application
- part Ii: Who Am I And How Do I Fit In?
- 6. Blessed With Every Blessing (ephesians 1:3-14)7. One In Whom Christ Dwells (ephesians 2:13-22)the "sanctified" Imagination8. An Identity Completely Changed (luke 8:26-39)9. Life In The Spirit (romans 8:1-11, 14)10. Blessed To Be A Blessing (genesis 12:1-5; 21:1-7)scripture Study And Meditation Work Together
- part Iii: Living In The Reality Of God's Kingdom
- 11. Relying On The Kingdom Of God (matthew 6:10, 25-34)12. Relying On The Kingdom, Illustrated (daniel 6)openness To The Spirit13. The Hidden Yet Powerful Kingdom Of God (matthew 13:24-32, 36-40)14. The Powerful, Invisible Kingdom Of God (2 Kings 6:15-23)15. The Good And Peaceable Kingdom Of God (isaiah 11:1-9)am I Making Things Up Or Hearing God?
- part Iv: Being Transformed Into Christ's Likeness
- 16. Abiding In Christ (john 15:1-11)17. From Gangster To Giver (luke 19:1-10)when Your Mind Wanders18. Letting Go Of The Old Self (colossians 3:1-11)19. Embracing The New Self (colossians 3:12-17)20. Dying To Self (john 13:1-14)a Huge Maturity Gap
- part V: Facing Fears, Frustrations, And Discouragement
- 21. Finding Courage In The Storm (mark 4:35-41)diving Board Lectio22. Moving Through A Fearful Journey (psalm 91)23. Seeing Jesus In Anger, Grief And Mercy (mark 3:1-6)24. Moving From Cynicism To Hope (psalm 27)what If Nothing Comes To Me?25. Hearing God In The Midst Of Discouragement (1 Kings 19:1-18)
- part Vi: Healing Life's Wounds
- 26. Being Freed From Infirmities (luke 13:10-17)27. Knowing That God Hears Me (mark 5:24-34)28. Are You Willing To Be Healed? (john 5:1-9)writing Your Prayers29. Moving From Mourning To Dancing (psalm 30)30. Receiving Jesus' Words To Caregivers (mark 9:14-29)
- part Vii: Having The Heart Of Christ For Others
- 31. Loving Others In Truth And Action (james 1:19-27)32. Moving From Self-absorption To Humility (philippians 2:1-16)meditation Leads To Transformation33. Loving The "stranger" (luke 10:25-37)34. Choosing Relationship Over Judgment (luke 6:36-38; Matthew 5:43-48)35. Stepping Out In Compassion (luke 7:11-17)
- part Viii: Partnering With God In Ministry
- 36. Cooperating With The Power Of God (ephesians 3:14-21)37. Responding To The Passion God Puts In Our Hearts (nehemiah 12)38. Relating To God In Failure (matthew 14:22-33)39. Drinking The Cup Of Suffering (matthew 20:20-28)40. Doing Nothing On My Own (proverbs 3:5-8)how To Meditate On Your Own