Old Testament Law For Christians: Original Context and Enduring Application
:The Old Testament law is foundational for our understanding of the Bible. But for many, it remains some of the Old Testament's most foreign and exotic material. This book by a leading evangelical expert in biblical law helps readers understand Old Testament law, how it functioned in the Old Testament, and how it is (and is not) instructive for contemporary Christians. The author explicates the often confusing legal system of ancient Israel, differentiates between time-bound cultural aspects of Israelite law and universally applicable aspects of the divine value system, and shows the ethical relevance of Old Testament law for Christians today.
You May Also Be Interested In
About "Old Testament Law For Christians: Original Context and Enduring Application"
Table Of Contents
part 1: Getting Into Old Testament Law
1. Is Old Testament Law Relevant For New Covenant Christians?
2. What Is Old Testament Law?
3. The Purpose Of Old Testament Law
part 2: Literature And Background Of Old Testament Law
4. Navigating Old Testament Laws And Related Literature
5. How Does The Old Testament Law Genre Inculcate Values?
6. Historical Contexts Illuminating Old Testament Laws
part 3: Methodology For Applying Values Of Old Testament Laws
7. Introduction To Applying Old Testament Laws To Christian Life
8. Approaches To Application Of Old Testament Law
9. Progressive Moral Wisdom
10. Case Study Of Progressive Moral Wisdom: Lost And Profound In Exodus 23:4
part 4: Values And Applications Of Particular Old Testament Laws
11. Ten Commandments And Related Laws, Part One
12. Ten Commandments And Related Laws, Part Two
13. Social Justice In Old Testament Law
14. Old Testament Law And Theodicy
15. Questions About Keeping Some Old Testament Laws Today
16. Values Reflected In Ritual Laws
conclusion: The Value Of Obedience To God